Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tarkake (Smash's "Side Project")

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Anyone heard it? Like it? What's your thoughts?

I've been listening to it quite a bit lately, it's very groovy. For those who don't know, it's Smash and a few guys jamming and recording it.

I'm even starting to dig the weird assed vocals. :p

I would really like to see a more structured version of this lineup. It's very cool jam wise, but if the structure of the song moved a bit more, and it became more song like WITH crazy extended jams, more planned out weird assed vocals :smug: I would love it. It has potential to be a total monster, but it needs to be put together more.

What's the status, Smash? Are you guys still jamming/recording? Do you gig at all? Inquiring minds (well maybe just me :p ) wanna know!

(P.S. Off topic, but where did you get your burnable CDs? Their is nothing on them so labels go on smoothly without annoying logos popping through the paper)

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think Smash has samples uploaded, but I'm not sure...

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've heard it, have a copy. I've been digesting the the music, getting ready to send a huge PM to SMASH actually.

I like it too, it has elements of prog (the older, cooler style) elements of rock (I mean the straight up kind, with attitude implied, not worn on a sleeve, the live Stoke CD masters this in a way I've seldom heard.) The odd vocals are cool, they add to the newness of the music, yet don't detract from the style and the influences I hear. I'd love to hear it recorded in a studio by and excellent "live" engineer. As far as song structure goes, I like the feel they get now, but would tighten it up in some spots. When you experiment, the longer you do it the tighter you get at it. It's a process you need to go through.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I know, but... I feel it lacks... songiness... maybe it's just me, but I feel that would highten the prog vibe it has.

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I hear you, I think that type of music takes quite a while to develop, whether you have it mapped out or not.

6. Quite a while ago SMASH sent me a Tarkake CD, pretty awesome stuff, really well written. Lovin it. I think I'm going to have to go pop it in now!

Just checked out the new one and it rocks! Totally awesome, can't wait for more. Keep up the good work.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'll check it out. 7 minutes is still going to kill my 56k modem. We (not the royal we ala Gia, but my girlfriend, roomate, and I) are looking into DSL. I set it up to download and I gotta go pick up the ol' ball and chain now, so that will make some progress.

Hmm it's been a while since I listened to the CD you gave me... I'm gonna go listen to it in the car when I pick her up. :D !

8. That was pretty cool. To me in some parts it kinda sounded like Rush or Yes which was pretty cool. The weird voice thing in the beginning caught me off gaurd a lil, but I enjoyed it. Keep the good stuff comin!

-Tyler

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hours and hours later, downloaded and listened too...

Good work my friend :) Definatly more structured, I really dug the keys too. I like keys in metal/hard rock... hell anything, viva la keys. The weird vocals even seem to fit in better. Production is still a bit rough, but better. Also, really cool basswork. Equinox has really cool bass playing too, but this is flashier which is always :cool:

I would love to hear you guys with a really good mix with everything tweaked just right. Everyone sounds tonally great, the levels are a bit weird. Everything seems quiet... well except the vocals :D I don't know exactly, but some tweaking need be done.

Musically though, kick ass, you guys are getting really good together. Very good stuff.

I know you told me before, but one more time... what the hell is that thing you are running the vox through?

Also: You guys gonna start giggin' around, I think you could get a pretty nice cult following going.

Also in addition: I get a 8-10 slot at the local radio station playing metal, I'm thinking of playing some Tarkake. Any recommendations? It isn't much for promotion, but you guys could take satisfaction in knowing that your stuff is getting played on college radio. And I'm sure all of our fans will love you. And you could always use 3 more fans. :D

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Good stuff SMASH! I mainly echo Matt's comments, good playing all around, better format with a little more structure is also a plus. I'd love to hear a more polished finished product as well. Keep us up to date!

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Will do, I got the show tonight. I'll bring it along.

12. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Good stuff. I enjoyed that thanksgiving one alot. Were can I get some more?

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    And by show tonight I mean next week. This week's metal show was cancelled... long story. I'll even give the album another listen with "what should I play" in mind. Do you have a website for this I should plug?

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy.

Yeah as far as I know the metal show is a go on friday.