Tascam 424 MKIII Portastudio

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 23, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey guys. our band wants to record, and we want a four track, seeing as how anything else would be to much money. i was thinking of the 424 MKIII Portastudio by tascam. any thoughts? has anyone ever used it? I might save up for buying stuff to record to my comp. i know how to do it, but right now im going to have to get the four track.
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, i know SOME about recording, but will i be able to record all the band at once with this? we are a four piece. so, singing , bass, guitar, and drums
  3. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    They work well. I think you can record the whole band with it.
  4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I really dig my 424... it is really clean for what I am doing, I have used all kinds of different tapes in it, and I have even used the outs to run to my computer for mixdowns into Cakewalk... I think it is a pretty good solution for tape recording, and I use it to record to the computer.... It has a lot of features for the price.
  5. kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have a Tascam 4 track, and to be quite honest, my band and I have recorded cleaner songs on that than on the demo we made in a studio. Mind you, the guy sucked, and we didn't have to pay for it...

Still, it records nicely. We are a 4 piece, drums, rhythm, lead and bass... the only problem is our lead guitarist is a perfectionist, and his solos are complicated. He is used to recording the rhythm track himself, since he is a better guitar player than the lead singer, and then he'll simply put together his solo and leads on a seperate track. This leaves no room for the vocals. It records the bass nicely, depending on how you run into it. I prefer running everything through a compressor and sound gate, just to clean up the tracks.

I haven't gotten around to recording vocals on it yet however, but I would suggest purchasing a D'esser (clears up the S's and the P's in the vocals). This will really help clean up the vocal tracks. And I can't stress how much a high quality mic will really affect the vocal tracks. I'm on a budget, but I spring for a great mic before I go out of my way to hunt down a great compressor. The vocals are what make the song, and you can always hide any unwanted instrument noise behind distortion or another track.

IMO anyways...

I don't know anything though... I just like to think so ;)