Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tascam 424 MKIII Portastudio

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 23, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey guys. our band wants to record, and we want a four track, seeing as how anything else would be to much money. i was thinking of the 424 MKIII Portastudio by tascam. any thoughts? has anyone ever used it? I might save up for buying stuff to record to my comp. i know how to do it, but right now im going to have to get the four track.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, i know SOME about recording, but will i be able to record all the band at once with this? we are a four piece. so, singing , bass, guitar, and drums

3. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    They work well. I think you can record the whole band with it.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I really dig my 424... it is really clean for what I am doing, I have used all kinds of different tapes in it, and I have even used the outs to run to my computer for mixdowns into Cakewalk... I think it is a pretty good solution for tape recording, and I use it to record to the computer.... It has a lot of features for the price.

5. kasuals

kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have a Tascam 4 track, and to be quite honest, my band and I have recorded cleaner songs on that than on the demo we made in a studio. Mind you, the guy sucked, and we didn't have to pay for it...

Still, it records nicely. We are a 4 piece, drums, rhythm, lead and bass... the only problem is our lead guitarist is a perfectionist, and his solos are complicated. He is used to recording the rhythm track himself, since he is a better guitar player than the lead singer, and then he'll simply put together his solo and leads on a seperate track. This leaves no room for the vocals. It records the bass nicely, depending on how you run into it. I prefer running everything through a compressor and sound gate, just to clean up the tracks.

I haven't gotten around to recording vocals on it yet however, but I would suggest purchasing a D'esser (clears up the S's and the P's in the vocals). This will really help clean up the vocal tracks. And I can't stress how much a high quality mic will really affect the vocal tracks. I'm on a budget, but I spring for a great mic before I go out of my way to hunt down a great compressor. The vocals are what make the song, and you can always hide any unwanted instrument noise behind distortion or another track.

IMO anyways...

I don't know anything though... I just like to think so ;)