Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tascam 788

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by doctorfinger, Feb 26, 2003.

1. doctorfinger

doctorfinger

Jan 31, 2003
    USA
    does anyone know how many tracks the 788 can record simutaneously?

also, when using midi, can it slave or does it have to master?

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The 788 can record six tracks at a time. It can be either slave or master when using MIDI.

3. doctorfinger

doctorfinger

Jan 31, 2003
    USA
    thanks for the info. what's your general impression of the recorder? I'm assuming you own one...

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Overall, I would say the 788 is a great piece of equipment. As far as sound quality goes, I give it a 9 out of 10. You can choose between 16 and 24 bit -- the 24 sounds sweet. It has a bit of a learning curve, but once you get by that, normal recording procedures become almost second nature.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'll second all of that but add ...
    Out of the 'digi-desks' I tried, the 788 had the most 'analog' feel to it. My comparison was against Roland/Akai/Korg. I was coming from an 80-8, Allen & Heath setup and I found that the 788 behaved more like I expected and that the others required more tweaking ... regardless here is a learning curve with any of these. The other item for me was Tascam factory support. They never let me down with the 80-8 and I have no qualms about their support of the 788. IMHO - it's the best of breed.

6. devane rocks

devane rocks

Feb 27, 2003
    atlanta ga
    I use the tascam 238 .I have 3 of them and one on the way .I get a great sound with them.check my sound out at www.devanenet.com .I love tascam nothing but luck out of them for the money

gene

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    just listened to your cut 'Falling Down' nice job! I hate the way bass falls off on my laptop though. I'm sure your mix is nice & punchy. I'll have to scope that from my audio system later. Keep it up!

8. devane rocks

devane rocks

Feb 27, 2003
    atlanta ga
    It is I hate mp3 they kill so much sound .The human ear is not supost to be able to hear it but I can. bugs me but not everyone has a high speed set up so make it as fast as you can to download to get people to check out the music.I think im going to rerecord that bass line with my fretless, I think it would give it more of a air- ie sound .

gene