Tascam Bass CD Trainer and your active bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim T., Dec 3, 2003.

1. I wanted to know if any bassists here have an opinion about the 1/2 and less playback speeds on this unit. Is it as digitally "glitchy" as the Pandora, Akai, and other earlier samplers? Does the Tascam's EQ allow you to make the bass more prominent and separated from similar frequencied instruments like toms and kick drums?

I've posted in the misc. threads and effects but haven't recieved feedback yet there, on this issue. I thought I'd try this forum hoping that more of us would see this here.

Moderator(s): If you feel strongly that this thread can't be here, would you consider leaving it here for a couple of days anyway before moving it? I have to take a 100+ mile drive to audition a Tascam in the Xmas shopping insanity and would really like some feedback before I do that. If I'm out of line then I will take my medicine like a M-A-N.:bawl:

As for the thread title, I've heard from two bassists back east that their in active mode basses aren't sounding good with this unit. They're both Warwicks which someone here has mentioned giving them problems as well.
    Any other active basses/bassists having similar problems?
    Thanks, Jim
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    here's a little bump for you buddy :)

i have the guitar version and my warwick and active Jazz give me problems. maybe i need to get the bass version.

you may want to search (if you haven't already) not for this specific topic, but just the unit itself.

on a good note - i love my unit.

BTW - don't buy the power supply from them - go to Radio Shack and get it there for 9 bucks
  3. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I have a G&L L-2500 which has the option of either active or passive. As long as I set the switches right on the BT-1, either one works fine for me. I cannot turn up the bass all the way, even in passive. In active, I really have to crank it down. I am using it with a decent if not somewhat old high quality pair of studio grade cans for headphones however. This may account for some of my success. But it also sounds great pumped into the effects loop input on my SWR Workingman 12. As far as your question about the bass enhancement feature. Here are how the options work in my OPINION:

OFF: Sounds just like normal. Like through a Walkman or something.

BST: Sounds more "bassey". Kind of like the bass boost on boom boxes does. The bass on the CD is more prounounced and much easier to pick out.

Enhanced: Sounds like schiz. It pretty much overamplifies a broad range of low frequencies and sounds terrible. Imagine one of those cars with all the super duper bass going on but they are doing it through their factory 6" speakers with no subwoofer. Kind of like that sound. Awful.

CUT: The low range frequencies are suppresed so that you can play your own without clashing with the bass already on the CD. This is my most used setting. The CD bassist dissapears and I sit in for him/her. Very nice when pumped through my amp.

There is also some kind of equalizer function on the menu which allows some degree of frequency customization. I have not messed with that at all due to the pain the menu is (more on that later) so I can't speak to it. I don't see that any of the features will allow you to seperate the bass out from other similar frequencied instruments as I suspect it is purely frequency based filtering. The lows are either pumped up or supressed as a whole. There is no discretion.

As far as the slow down function. I've messed with it some, as well as the pitch change. These features are very usable, but sounds kind of funky to me. Not bad at all though, just kind of weird since I am not used to hearing the songs like that. I think they are just data bit sample stuffing or something to extend the timeframe to slow it down. It gets the job done though. As I have no reference to compare it with other devices available. I can't say that's it's any better or worse than other options out there. You'll probably have to suck it up, make the drive and try it out for yourself. My biggest complaint about the unit is the menu operation. You have a little cross button that you have to push left than right, then up then down to get to the submenus. It's a royal pain in the arse until you get the hang of it..then it only mildly sucks! Overall I have a ball with the BT1 though. Good luck!
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that's cool. i think i told you or maybe someone else, but it would of been really nice to do a left/right volume thing so you can play the bass parts to some Abersold's
  5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    there is some info on these here.

If you do a search you will find lots of info

try this one

one more

I hope this helps.
  6. NJl. LoJoe,bill h,

Thanks guys! That's the kind of detail I'm looking for. I did read the other threads you so kindly provided the links to. I was hoping for more specific frequencey/EQ info than those had. There was only one (I think) experienced opinion aside from many, I'm buyin' one as soon as it's out posts.

I'm suckin' up for the big drive. Hope to be able to do that tomorrow. I'm planning on auditioning the unit in the store but we'll see how many wankers are wankin' on thrash guitar when I get to G.C. or if the manager will turn down the sound system for 5 minutes!

If not, I'll buy it and bring it home for a bit and AB with the Zoom.

If anyone else has opinions about the EQ adjustments/usefulness before tomorrow I'd love to hear more.

Once again thanks everyone. You're great!
    And a double thanks to our fearless moderator for allowing me to ask here!:cool:
  7. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA

Hey Jim T.,

I bought one about a month ago and haven't tried it yet. Perhaps a weekend endeavor......?

Anyway, if so, I'll post the results.
  8. Well... I'm back from the dreaded 100+mile trip. Man, EVERYone's out shopping. What'd they play hooky from work?

The bottom line: I'm pretty tickled with the Tascam. The glitches/flanging on the 50 percent speed setting is actually pretty minimal and it's still useful in most cases.

I REALLY like the 32% reduction. The "events" seem to be far enough apart that they at least give me the aural impression that the bass is somewhat separated enough from toms and kick that I can hear most of what the bass line is doing.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the minimal manual, there is no way to EQ the playback of CDs? It seems like you can only use the EQ on internal effects patches. Do I have that right?

The AB comparison: The Zoom will do fine if you need the most bang for the buck. (Slow downer with effects and an expression pedal) but the Tascam sounds quite a bit better for transcribing and has more speeds.

I think any bassist would like this box. I don't yet own a laptop and you could stick this thing in your vest pocket and take it camping.

I'll try the bass imput for the Active question, tomorrow...

Thanks everybody for the pre trip info/details so that I could get enticed into going to pick one up. The Bass Trainer is a keeper for me!

It does come in the cheesiest/cheapest looking styrene/bubble pack thingy, shaped like an electric guitar body that's so quichy it conjures up images of K Mart or Wal Mart bass guitar complete kits for beginners! I was actually taken aback when the G.C. gal plopped it on the counter! It doesn't take on the sophistication of the Bass Player Mag. ad until its buck naked:D
  9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Man, ain't that the truth! At least you don't have to cut the stupid packaging open, but really.

Overall I'm real thrilled with mine. My main thing is the looping function. I play mine through my PA which essentially is my home stereo. I like the accentuated bass that it seems to have although the I have a super Ashly equilizer for that.
  10. I got one for a Christmas present and I'm in total agreement with the operation statements mentioned here. The trainer is great for the most part, but the menu is hard to get used to but no problem. The enhancement does totaly suck though. The BST is very good and I'm liking the reduced speed at 16 the best. That flanging noise is very distracting to me when you go slower. The looping is good but you really have to get the hang of were to start and stop it or is really messes you up trying to play with it. I have not tried teh CUT yet but that sounds really cool. All in all I've only use it a couple times and on some (at least to me) some very difficult slapping stuff (Peg-Steely Dan/Chuck Rainey) and it's still pretty hard to pick out. The finger style is much easier for me to learn. I suck a slapping anyway..