1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tascam Bass Trainer: does it work as advertised?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NS2A, Oct 4, 2008.

1. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    I've been looking at the Tascam Bass Trainer. The music I play in my band is originally recorded either tuned down a full step, half step or in standard tuning.

Plus, for my church gig, they constantly change keys, going from say a D tuning on the CD to playing in A.

Since I like to practice along to the CD, can the Bass trainer handle all this? And does it sound any different? ie. slower or faster because of the key changes?

Back in the 80's I remember there used to be a tape recorder that you could slow down to figure out guitar solos. But, then the solo would be an octave lower. But this thing seems WAY better.

So, does it really do all that I'd want it to do?

2. Mesmerize-16

Mesmerize-16

Aug 31, 2007
    the tascam trainer will change the key of the music without affecting the speed. as for the bass-removal feature, it is frequency-based and will not always remove all the bass. a cheaper option would be an application called Best Practice, which is essentially a tascam for your computer. it's also free! their website is: http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/

hope this helps!

3. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    I have had the CD and MP3 version and have found them very helpful.

You can slow down the tunes to help with transcribing them.

The various Eq's are very cool and the effects are good except I find some of them not useful for my own playing style / sound. Both products are also great for personal practice and plugging them into computers to record. The looping function is the best part of the products because this saves you the time of rewinding back to the part of the song or phrase you want to learn.

So, overall I would say that they are very good products and do exactly what they advertise. I highly recommend them!

You just need to put in the time and patience to transcribe the songs.

4. loganpass

loganpass

May 17, 2008
    Western Montana
    +1 on both the other posts. I use the looping function the most. Speed functions work pretty well but ultimately hearing the line I'm working on repeatedly at real time works the best for me. Was surprised by the quality of some of the effects as well. It's a great little discrete practice tool. Good purchase.

5. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    From Nov. 2007 through April 2008, I was very active with a local church. I used my MP-BT1 a LOT. I downloaded MP3s to it and used it to train the week before a service and also during the Sunday morning before the worship team went on. I found it to be a terrific tool to learn songs at church, where a lot of songs are done in keys other than the original recording.

6. +1 For Best Practice application. I also have the Tascam CD-BT1MKII . Its the older model, doesn't do mp3. I use it mostly as a portable headphone amp.

7. there is also the "amazing slow downer" which is free on the net. a google search should pull that up. The freeware version will slowdown only the first 1/3 of an mp3 but will slow down the entirety of the first two tracks of a cd. So burn a track to a cd and you can use it for free.

8. Just checked out Harmony Central and, though there are no reviews of the bass trainer, the guitar trainer gets a serious kicking! Mainly poor reliablity and sound quality.
    My old Pocket Rocket headphone amp, which worked well with my ipod, has just given up the ghost, and the Tascam looks like the perfect replacement.
    You guys have given me more confidence to buy, but still a little worried about reliability!

9. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I had the original Tascam Bass Trainer, the CD based version without the metronome. I found it to be very useful for all the reasons that have been described above. However, after about 18 months it stopped working: it would turn on, but it would not play a CD and I could not get any sound out of the headphones. Repair was not worth it so I trashed it. I have read about similiar issues with this model but I cannot remember where I saw the reference. You might want to check Bass06 Digest; you can do a search and might find some reviews.

I bought the mp3 Bass Trainer about a year ago. It is a nice upgrade from the CD version. I have not yet had any problems and I use it at least once a week for a few hours at a time. So far so good (knock on wood)................

10. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I love my BT, mine is the original CD version. I've used it alot, no issues over 3,5 years.

11. I have used mine for about 2 years
    I had to have tascam replaced becouse one day it wouldnt turn on
    I use it all the time
    But....
    Just get a good set of headphones pay over 50 bucks for them and get cans not ear buds:bassist: