1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TASCAM Bass Trainer GB-10 or similar: Can it do THIS?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JacoNOT, Aug 11, 2012.

1. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    I know the TASCAM GB-10 Bass Trainer enables loading MP3 tunes, changing tempo (slowing down with no pitch shift) and looping specific sections for repetitious practice.

Does the GB-10 (or comparable device) provide for emphasizing the bass part, so I can hear it more clearly? I have trouble sifting the bass out of some mixes.

Does the GB-10 provide for muting the bass part? Bass is often panned Center, so it should be possible to lower the volume of the bass (along with whatever else is panned Center).

I can loop selected sections in SOFTWARE, and can adjust tempo to some extent, too. But I'm not sure how to pull the bass up out of the mix other than thru EQ - and with EQ you have to choose a particular frequency range. Most bass parts that interest me cover a pretty broad range...

If anybody has suggestions for using software to enhance practice reference material--particularly how to make the bass line more obvious--I'm all ears. I use Sony Soundforge 10 and Presonus Studio One v2.

I'd rather not buy another piece of gear if I can use what I already have.

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

This is a link to Transcribe! software. I used to use Amazing Slow Downer, but have recently switched to Transcribe! because it is so feature laden.

For an idea of what it can do, check out some of the tutorial videos on Youtube.

Price $39.

It does everything you mentioned, plus a heck of a lot more.

3. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Probably.
    My Older CD version BT-1 does.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    This shouldn't be in Bass Guitars...let's try effects.

5. VerryBerry

VerryBerry Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    The GB-10 cannot emphasize or mute the bass parts. It has a simple balance control for panning left to right and that's it.

As to other software or apps out there, I discovered http://jammit.com/. Which isolates whatever track you want out of the music - but then they are using the actual studio mixes. It's a great concept - free app, you just buy the songs - but the selection is quite limited, although it is growing.

6. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    As moderator, I bow to your wishes, SM. But I thought carefully before posting the thread under Basses. A "trainer thing" really isn't an Effect and it isn't Instruction or Technique either, though it does pertain to both...kinda. That's why I posted in Basses.

7. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    YIKES :eek: Thanks a lot. I'm headed over to YouTube right now. :D

EDIT a few minutes later:
    Man! That's the ticket. I need to watch more YouTube demos, and then I'll download the trial version. Looks EXCELLENT. Thank you.

8. JacoNOT

JacoNOT

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks for clarifying the fact that the GB-10 cannot emphasize or de-emphasize the bass part. As for Jammit, I want to study material I already own, so that's a NOGO, but thanks for the heads up.