Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tascam Bass Trainer

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Edouble, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Edouble

Edouble

Dec 23, 2005
    Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the Bass world and have a question. I recently purchased a Tascam Bass Trainer which enables you to slow down a CD so that you can listen to the song and learn the notes. Was this a useless purchase? My friend, the guitar player, believes so. Any thoughts?

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I think its a great purchase. It helped me lift some tricky Marcus Miller stuff, which I have since forgotten. But anyways, I think its a great piece of kit. Guitar players . . . :rolleyes:

3. Helstar

Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    I have one and I love it ....now Tascam they are a piece of **** company and do not care about you after the sale, but the unit is great I recomend it buy it from an online company and get the warranty cause Tascam will flat out tell ya tough Sh*t
    but I like the unit

4. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    What else can it do besides slow a song down?

I was hoping you could kinda of boost the bass or lower other frequencies so that the bass becomes more prominent. If it did something like that, I would definitley have put that on my christmas list.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I own one and really like it. Don't listen to the guitar player. Bass players have extra problems trying to work out the bass lines since they tend to be more buried in the mix. The Tascam can help bring out the bass. It is not perfect, but every little bit can help.

6. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I love it, tho I haven't used it in awhile. I really like the Bass Cut on the unit. It helps when playing along with the songs.

BTW...I also have the Guitar Trainer one as well...

Isn't that the way most companys are becoming latley?

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have one- good little unit.

8. Edouble

Edouble

Dec 23, 2005
    Thanks to all that replied to my question.

Now, I'd like to know should I have purchased a drum machine instead?

9. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I love my trainer as well. It has some useless features (for me anyway) like effects, but it is a great unit.

Why are you listening to your gu*tar player? :rollno:

Get a metronome and use it, then go with a drum machine. I don't have a drum machine but I've heard that they tend to cover up sloppy playing while a metronome keeps time but lets you hear more honestly how you play.

Practice with the metronome, then lock in with your real drummer at rehearsal and gigs. Oh, and tell your gu*tar player to turn down! :D :D

10. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I love that little bass trainer! You can adjust the volume of the bass and the track, you can adjust the pitch of the music from the CD, change key, change tempo without changing pitch, change tempo and pitch at the same time, tune the bass...
    It does get kind of "skippy" when messing around with the pitch of the music and stuff, but I don't think it was ever intended to be a hi-fi music listening device anyway.
    I also take mine to rehersal and play tunes from the CD if we're having any problems getting something right (no sorry, we're not pros!). Being able to change pitch is HANDY since we need to tune down a half step on a few songs for our singer.

I use mine quite a bit as a headphone practice unit since I live in an apartment and try not to aggrivate my neighbors.

11. Kevdel

Kevdel Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Maryland
    I hope it's as cool a unit as everyone says because guess what Santa brought this morning?!? :D

12. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    It does all that, and many other things very well. Great tool, great practice aid... Get the footswitch and you can easily cue parts to loop... Kind of like a 'Swiss Army Knife' for practicing...

-robert

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what do you think? And don't listen to your guitarist, what would he know about a device he's never used on an instrument he doesn't play?

I can't tell you which you need more, only you know that. The tascam has a built in metronome, which may be sufficient for your needs or not.

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I just bought the Bass Trainer today. I'll get it on Monday.

I really needed something like this as I have just joined a band and have to learn 80 songs by Friday (20th).

In my current situation, I only have two ways to practice...neither being ideal.

1. In my living room; Use the CD player in my entertainment center, and plug into my little practice amp. This works, however...I have four kids and it can get pretty noisy and I get interrupted constantly. Plus I can only practice when my 7month old is awake, as even when my amp and CD player volume is down low, it still wakes her up sometimes. I really have to take advantage of every waking moment.

2. In either my living room or my bedroom. Use my laptop and play the music using Transcribe (great, cheap software) and use headphones. Problem is, I still have to use my amp to play my bass through (no way to run my amp through anything for headphone use). I also have to keep one side of the headphones off one ear to hear my amp. Plus having to stop and use the keyboard and mouse to control the playback is kind of klunky.

3. Now with the CD Bass Trainer, I can plug my bass into, and play a CD all in the same device and listen to both through my headphones. PLUS it allows me to loop song sections, change the pitch without affecting the speed...or change the speed without affecting pitch.

While I haven't used it yet, I can see where this will be a big help to me. I can practice now at any time, day or night and not bother anyone...and the kids can fight all they want and I can just keep right on practicing.

Very cool unit. Best thing I've seen for practicing...for $149!!!

15. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I wouldn't want it to be my only practice device, but it is super handy. The looping makes it a winner right there. Great for figuring out some tough parts.

My wish: that it ditched the CD and let you load it with tunes from iTunes, etc... I end up burning CDs specifically to use with it.

Biggest downer: battery life is horrid.

There is nothing stopping you from using a drum machine. Just run it in the AUX input and feel free to ignore the CD player function. I like those inexpensive Yamaha DD-XX electronic drum thingies that have 100 patterns. They are large but do the job.

16. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have used the first generation Tascam unit for a couple of years now, and have found it to be indespensible! I use a separate metronome (i have no trouble hearing it, as I use ear buds instead of headphones) for drills and practice without a CD. I highly reccommend spending the extra bucks for the wall wart. Its well worth it. Now, I get to practice at home at any trime without driving my wife and kids crazy. BTW, I showed this unit to my guitar player and he went out and immediately got the Alesis unit for his own home practicing.

17. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    They sound like a great unit to have- especially for those lines that sound really "congested" or covered up, or just to damn fast to figure out.

But onto you drum machine dilema. I would first buy a decent metronome, one with a light that travels back and forth, that will count certain beats (turn a different color on say the "3"). I've found that being able to play with that type of metronome really helps in studio situations. The being used to the "light" makes playing to the "click" you get in the studio much easier. (my opnion)

I'd later get a drum machine- it's really not that necessary. I'd just hook up with a real drummer instead. Because a drum machine simply loops the same beat over and over (usually right?). While a real drummer is going to fill on most every chance he gets (facts. sorry). And nothing will prepare you for little variations drummers will throw in to try to be cool or jazzy.

All my opinion- take it for what its worth.

18. Hi all,

Are there features on the CD version that you can't live without?

I'm looking for guidance on the newer MP3 version of Tascam's Bass Trainer compared to the CD version. The feature lists are significantly different - more on the CD version.

I've been practicing/playinig acoustic bass for 2-3 years and travel frequently without my bass. I felt the trainer would be a good device to keep growing my knowledge, ear, etc. My long term interests are to play solo ballads - coffee shop gigs - and use the trainer to help transcribe.

Thanks in advance,
    Denys

19. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have one and use it all the time. Sometimes just as a headphone amp. I like it alot.

I have the older MK II version and the CD door is quite fragile. The door hinge broke on my first one and TSCAM wouldn't warranty it. The newer ones are a much better design.

Most of the extra bass effects features (chorus, flange, OD etc.) on the CD version I think are worthless. The most usefull features are it's ability to eliminate the bass lines, the slow down feature without changing the pitch, the looping feature and the bass boost to pick out the lines. Those features alone make the unit worth the money as a practice unit.

20. pj-mike

pj-mike

Nov 22, 2005
    Bridgewater, MA
    I have an older CD version with the CD door broken (just place it on to make it run). The feature I use a lot is to change the pitch. We do covers in different keys. E instead of E flat etc. Great thing to have.