1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tascam Bass Trainer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Otter, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Otter

Otter

Dec 14, 2008
    Oregon (Southern)
    So,

I just ordered a bass Trainer from Musician's Friend. I really hate blasting the stereo to hear bass parts to learn how to play them. Is this thing going to be a "life changing experience" or just a "gimmick"? I know the wife will appreciate me using headphones.

It's amazing just how many producers bury the bass in the mix. Even with a really good sub (Velodyne HGS-10) I just can't hear what I need to hear.

Any tips on how to use it would be very appreciated.

Otter.

2. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Not sure about 'life changing experience' but I think you'll find it well worth the cash.

As well as there being a metronome and a tuner built in, you can enhance the bass at the flick of a switch. You can slow down the song you're working on by up to 50% without affecting the pitch (and there are about 6 increments between normal speed and -50%).

You can set loop in and loop out points so that you can work on a particular section.

Biggest tip: make sure you get the mains power lead. Once you start working with the CD player on batteries the batteries don't last very long at all!

Good investment!

3. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have the Mp3 bass trainer and love it. Very handy and its small size makes it perfect for practicing anywhere. :)

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Yes, I think it's a good investment. One thing, be careful with the lid covering the CD compartment, as it's a little flimsy. Other than that, I'm happy with mine. Also, +1 on getting the mains power lead.

5. I have the CD trainer and am thinking about getting the MP3 version. Will save burning CDs. Very useful tool. Plus you can just plug in and practive with headphones without a CD playing.

6. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Love mine. Use it as a tuner too so I sold my rack tuner and put this easily in my gig bag. If it would read guitar pro files I'd be all set.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    +1.

I love it for practicing in my apartment. I wrote a mini-review of it on my blog. cammcintyrebass.blogspot.com

8. Otter

Otter

Dec 14, 2008
    Oregon (Southern)
    Mine finally showed up in the mail from Musician's friend. I spent some "quality" time with it last night (6 hours!). Dam thing is worth every penny!

Otter.

9. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    If you didn't get the wall charger...spend the money. Use my BT all the time and had two sets of rechargeable batteries. The wall unit was worth the money.

10. One of the few good investments that I've made.I have the bTmp3 and use it all of the time .I play in our worship band and I am always downloading anew song or 4:eek:,for that Sunday's 2 services.
    The ability to "rewind" constantly is great,you can even play the effects,so as not to have a sterile DI sound. Worth the money:bassist:

11. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    I didn't care for it. I already have a system for practicing with headphones, so that didn't help me.

I wanted it for the pitch adjustments, but it would only go +/- 6 semitones that I could see. At times, I need more. If you're just adjusting a 1/2 or full step, you'll like it.

Also, when I adjusted the pitch on the unit, it'd stay that way for all the songs, which doesn't help ME. I just use Best Practice, adjust the pitch then resave the file with the adjusted pitch. That works better for ME, but depending on what you do, the basstrainer seems to be a good bet for others.

12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Some of the best money I ever spent.

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Did you get the MP3 or CD version?

I'm thinking about getting the power adapter for my MP3 one so that I can practice with it plugged in.

14. Otter

Otter

Dec 14, 2008
    Oregon (Southern)
    I purchased the MP3 version and the AC adapter. Works great.

Otter.

15. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    If you have an ipod touch or iphone, you can get an app, "Music Trainer" for $1.99 that will allow you to slow down mp3s and to change the key of a song.

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Good to hear. As you can read, I love mine. I rarely use the effects, but the metronome & slow down features are amazing.

17. Otter

Otter

Dec 14, 2008
    Oregon (Southern)
    I have a hard time discerning some bass lines when the producer buries them in the mix. The bass "boost" and "enhance" functions really help.

The effects are fun to play with as well, I don't own any pedals or other processors so its a nice diversion.

Otter.