1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tascam CD-BT1 mkII?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tedintheshed, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this...but I am looking for an affordable unit that I can use to learn songs with quietly so I don't disturb the kids homework time.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit, or its older version? It seems like a nifty little unit, and for $150 you would think the price is great considering comparable devices.. Feedback is appreciated and a link is below

Tascam CD-BT1 mkII

Thanks,

Ted

2. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    my bass teacher had sommthing like that, he says it help him immensely, he can figure out song that, he had trouble doing, and he says the sound thru his headfones is better than any amp he has tried. if that helps

3. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I have a CD-BT1 and LOVE it!! It is just what you are looking for. Learn tunes, jam along with CD's, noodle around on the bass without disturbing anyone, and VERY portable. One thing: it eats up batteries quickly. Get an adaptor for it. Other than the battery issue, I positively love this thing!! And from what I have read, the mkII has even more cool and useful features than the original.

4. Tom Magri

Tom Magri Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I have used one of these for over a year and find it very useful for working on new tunes. It's also great for play alongs. It has a headphone jack and a separate line-out that I run to my ampliflier. You can split the stereo signal on the line out ot your amp so that you can remove the bass from Play-Along Cds suchs as the Jamie Aebersold CDs. It also has a nice Bass Cut feature that you can use when playing along with regular music CDs that takes most of the bottom out of the CD. Can't beat it for practicing late at night when nobody want to hear your thumping.

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    I have had the MKII for about a month now...great little unit!! I find that the variable speed control and looping capabilities has helped immensely when learning tricky riffs and lines...beat the heck out of the "shuffle" mode on my cd player. I've learned new songs in a fraction of the time and can play anywhere with headphones.

I'll second the batteries comment. This thing really chews 'em up, so I'd insist on an adapter.

This is a worhwhile investment... spend the $$ and get the MKII!!!

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I love mine (mk1). I use it as a straight CD player. To boost the bass so you can hear it better. To slow down songs I'm learning. To change the pitch to the correct key.

There are some things I don't like. Battery usage has been mentioned already. It looks and feels cheap. The effects are cheesy (YMMV). The fast-forward goes into hyper drive which is not useful for real songs.

Also, slowing the song and/or boosting the bass does distort the sound some. The more you slow it down the harder to hear the picth. I remember picking out the line to a song and then realizing when I it back up to speed that I had also incorported the bass drum.

I also found the bass cut next to useless. It also takes out the bass drum.

But overall, I love it.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I had the original CD-BT1 and loved it, but it never got the use it deserved, so I sold it. When the CD-BT1 mk II came out, I was excited but broke. Just dropped the cash on one last night new with adapter, and bought the case/speaker combo from Sweetwater as well. It's a great tool if you use it. :)

8. Surgeon

Surgeon

Mar 4, 2003
    North Dakota
    I was looking at the CD-BTII when I found a software program that does much of the same stuff (slowing music and changing pitches) called "SlowGold". I already a small combo amp with a headphone jack that I use to practice when my kids are asleep, so the software was all I needed.

If you're looking for a unit that does all those things though it seems the CD-BTII might be just what you're looking for.

Let us know if you get it and how it works for you.

9. techieab

techieab

Feb 2, 2006
    HI all bassists,

I have the latest unit (mk2 unit), and love the sound.
    Trying to record it in Synapse Audio Orion Platinum or Adobe Audition, computer based recording software.
    However the "line out" from the "mk2" signal does not record thru the soundblaster live audiocard in my dell computer.
    I am thinking about using the headphone output for this.
    I've searched all over the internet for an answer to this, and thought this might be the place to ask this question.
    Anyone with any hints on this, your comments would be appreciated.
    For those of you who might be wondering how to do this, maybe we can brainstorm here in this forum.

Please write.

Techieab[/SIZE][/FONT]

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, I've had this unit for a while now, and it is a great little practice unit.

But I wouldn't record with it- it isn't of enough quality.

11. techieab

techieab

Feb 2, 2006
    Understood.

I just want to mention this is for a idea recording.
    The tune is done in 7/8 and the bass part, though somewhat close, is no where near the way I play it live.
    So I would like to get a live version on there to show other musicians that I'm considering working with on this tune to hear what I sound like.
    What I would like to know is if anyone has managed to record with this unit and how they went about it.
    i.e. Bass thru the cd-bt 1 mk2 unit into a computer audio based recorder, with any midi/ audio sequencer or standalone sequencer.
    Like I said I use Synapse Audio Orion Platinum, and have just aquired Adobe Audition for this purpose.
    Right now when I record I don't get a signal from the line out of the tascam unit.\

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Techieab

12. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Check out this recent thread.......

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223410&highlight=tascam

13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
  14. techieab

techieab

Feb 2, 2006
    I have SBLive, KXproject and OPlat... I can audio record OK into OPlat.

Have you enabled audio input and Monitor input in the Audio IN Settings in OP?

You must then reboot OP for these to work properly (I think)

Then, Insert an audio track.
    View Song Playlist.
    In your inserted audio track, right click and pick up Input Source -Stereo 3/4

(or at least it is on mine)
    Enable recording by clicking on the 'R' button in the 'M''S''R' bit to the left.

This will also enable the main record in the Transport (red square with a black

dot). If you don't want to record the track at this point, then switch this off

by clicking on the Record button in the Transport.
    You should hear something now.
    If not, try picking up another Stereo Input Source?
    Also, it is useful to have an insert effect in the channel (some are mono, some

stereo). You must also enable this by ckicking on the red lamp alongside the

Insert #1 or #2 - whichever you choose.

Your information was right on, however I found out a few other things, regarding

recording with the kx asio driver.
    One must view the kx router settings, the levels on mine were set to zero.under

wave.
    As you stated Input Source -Stereo 3/4 were right on, the only ones that work

actually, and as you suggested I ran the signal thru the bass compressor effect

for good measure, and lo and behold it worked.

15. Just got the Tascam CD-BT1mkll. Cant beat it for the money. I have other tascam products so I know its money well spent.

The unit runs on batteries, while this is good if your on the go or going to be in a place where there is no electricity. (I live in florida so thats always possible :) ) , I suggest buying the AC adapter if you plan on putting serious mileage on it.:bassist: It will be cheaper in the long run. expected alkaline battery life is 1.5 hrs.:bawl:

I wont go into all the features, I havent used them yet, here are the key features I was concerned with.
    ================================================

Manual is easy to follow

Built in tuner

Headpone out and also a seperate line out so you can put in a set of computer speakers with built in amp

Line in but you cannot control it from the CD-BTmkll, you must control the output level on the external device (havent used it yet)

Mix balance feature that you can adjust between bass guitar and CD. (I was bumming till I found this feature, cause I couldnt heard the Bass guitar over the CD.)

Footswitch function so you can control CUE (sold separately)

Looping feature - repeat the whole/ all the CD tracks or a particular section of a track.

Metronome - Havent used it yet

Tempo and Key control - tempo allows you to change the tempo of the track.. Key control changes the key of the music up or down by six semitones.

VSA mode - allows you to change tempo without changing key

Effects - used them very briefly

EQ - used it very briefly
    ================================================
    I will post more when I start using the other features.