Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tascam CD BT1 vs. Sound Forge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kalo, May 23, 2005.

1. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Just curious on anyones take on the Tascam CD BT1 Bass Trainer vs. using Sound Forge...

I have Sound Forge, and to tell you the truth I still can't bring out the bass via using the EQ...Could be something I am doing wrong, but I am wondering if the Tascam CD BT1 Bass Trainer might be better for me....

Does it really bring out those tuff bass lines that are burried in the mix?

Thanks Kalo

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have only good experiences with my Tascam Trainer. I couldn't be without it. You can boost the bass, cut the bass or play normal. I also like how I can manipulate that loops and/or the pitch if necessary. I don't have experience with Sound Forge so I can't comment on it.

Dan

3. I love my Tascam. ;)

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i loved mine until it fell off of my dresser and blew up.

5. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I don't know anything about the Sound Forge. My Tascam is a wonderful tool I wouldn't be without. If you get the Tascam, spend the extra money for the wall wart. It's well worth it, and will pay for itself many times over vs. the cost of changing batteries.

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree with all of the above posters.

I have the new MKII unit, and I honestly didn't realize how much easier this little tool makes complicated riffs and basslines seem.

I haven't tried the Sound Forge, but I can see how it could be any better than the MKII....best $150 I ever spent!!

7. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    No one here uses Sound Forge?!
    Well I do, and although i dont use the Tascam or have ever tried it. I doubt the EQ could come close to Sound Forge's. Sound Forge is a professional Audio Altering Software.. You can do ANYTHING to the audio on there. So if portability is not an issue. Then Sound Forge is a hard piece to beat strictly in terms of slowing down audio, messing with EQ, etc.
    I usually use, it to take out Vocals, which is much harder then taking out Bass cause its usually on such a huge spectrum. But i manage because of all the things u can do with Soundforge.
    So, i doubt a Hardware Unit can beat the flexibility of SW on a pc.
    IMO :)
    Peace
    M

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would imagine just about any piece of computer software would work "better", but you mentioned the key piece.. "if portability is not an issue". As a gigging bassist, it's really nice to be @ our practice studio, get a cd to a new piece of music, pop it in, and begin to break it down in front of my bandmates. Often times, I've got my part pretty much locked way before they do.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I also couldn't live without the Tascam. I don't have room in my practice space* to setup the computer so it is easy to use. The Tascam sits on a bookshelf. So, while I don't need portability, I do have size constraints.

* "Practice space" sounds cooler than "corner of basement" ;)

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I love the tascam's playback features, but abhor the preamp. So, I run the CD out from the BT-1 into the "mix-in" jack of a Raven Labs PHA-1. With a good pair of studio headphones, I'm pretty sure it's the best silent practice set-up you can get.

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 on the preamp. I run the output from the Tascam to my little mixer and the bass to a SansAmp to the mixer. Then I either run the output through an old boom box or through headphones. Very very flexible.

Plus the effects are really cheesey. Although sometimes I will play the auto-wah to play along to Crazy Train. WaWah WaWah WaWah WaWah :bassist: And the dragon comes in the nigghhhhhttttttt......