Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TASCAM CD-BT1 ??????

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by keneds, Feb 22, 2006.

1. keneds

keneds

Feb 18, 2006
    London Grove, PA.
    Has anyone tried this thing out? Can I get some feedback?
    (what am I thinking...........bass players don't get feedback)

2. I have one. It's a nice unit. I like how you can plug into it and play bass along with the music through headphones. A good pair of headphones and the bass sounds pretty good.

The slowing the pitch is pretty darn cool. It's worth the dough. I PMed ya.

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i had one but i dropped it and smashed the inputs. i need to get another one.

4. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    In my band setting... We write songs.. record them.. and then bring the song to the rest of the band to learn on their own. This device I found awesome for just that.

5. Ray C. Parrish

Ray C. Parrish

Oct 2, 2005
    Yes, I do like my CD-BT1. I do prefer to go out of the line out jack into my CD imput jack on my Ibanez practice amp. Then plug my headphones into the amp. I mostly use the looping feature for hard to learn lines.:hyper:

6. After decades of pulling lines from albums then CD's I got a BT-1 to try.

Personally I think for the most part it sucks. It's good to slow down parts, and it's good to change the key while keeping the same tempo, although probably much call for that feature.

The basic problem is that there are only three bass modes. One you can cut the bass, two you can enhance the bass but it doesn't enchance very much, and it does not cut any of the other frequencies so you are still competing with guitars, vocals, and drums, with just a slight boost in the bass.
    The last boost is totally useless, since it boosts the bass to the point of pure distortion.

I use it to practice one song when a refresher is needed. The tune is in Ab, but we do it in G so I use the BT1 to play the tune in G while keeping the same tempo.

I don't know how the second version is, but Tascam didn't do their homework on the first one.

So I still yank the parts from the CD as it is the most accurate way to get the parts. I have found a "bass isolater" type of unit which is far superior to the Tascam, which is a big help.

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    It's a good investment if you need to learn from a CD, or need a good in-ear practice amp.

I have the mk-II model. It multitude of effects that don't sound that great, but are fun. I like the ability to slow down without affecting pitch, and the ability to tune up or down in semitones.

Probably the best feature for learning songs is the ability to loop a portion endlessly in whatever selected speed. It sure beats having to hit rewind on a CD player or stereo everytime you mess up.

It does take some time to learn how to mix the levels of your bass and the recording. I never really had a problem with the "enhance," the 2nd bass boost for recordings. I found it to be quite sufficient, but I'm sure it depends on your earphones. It would have been nice to have some sort of dial for adjusting the recorded bass, rather than 3 set-in-stone presets. I agree that the final bass boost is utterly pointless.

Overall, I'm glad to have it. It's helped me immensely to learn songs and is great for those late-night practices when the rest of the house is asleep.

8. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I've enojoyed mine very much (MK1). in fact, i'm listening to a CD through it as I type. i was practicing with it until the baby started squalling, then I started just listening to the CD while surfing the net waiting for momma to fisnish what she was up to.

I find it very handy to learn tough parts. i like the 2nd bass boost. I was looping a part, that's nice.

i find it almost as handy as my Kork PX3B (another great practice tool).

It's worth having in m opinion.

K

9. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
  10. I recently bought a used BT-1 over the net. I thought it was a Mk II when I bought it, but it is a Mk I. What are the main differences between the two models? Besides the metronome feature, is the Mk II so much better than the ordinary BT-1 that I should think about buying it, or is the older unit good enough for all intents and purposes?

11. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I've had mine for about 2 years now. I really like it. It is very useful for learning songs.

12. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I've got a Mark II and use it all the time. I've found that the sound is vastly improved if you take a line out into a decent home stereo amp and plug your headphones in there.

13. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I just got a mkII - it is supposed to be much easier to use.

I bought some decent headphones AKG141s to use with it. I really like it. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck. I like that you change songs keys without changing the tempo... good for cheating on your transposition for that subing covers.

I like it as a headphone amp too. Although, the effects are pretty much a waste of time i guess and the metronomes tone is a bit annoying, but thats ok.

14. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here

15. I have owned the Mk II for about 2 months now and I love it.

Pros: Great practice tool. Variable speed, pitch, built in tuner, effects, song loop, (which is probably the best feature), active/passive bass inputs, metro...excellent overall.

Cons: TERRIBLE customer support...I mailed Tascam techs with a problem, and they never got back to me. It eats batteries, get the AC adapter. This is not made to last a long time, alot of plastic. There is no throwing it around. Get the carrying case, which also has built in speakers, or just be careful when transporting. The CD door only opens about 30-40 degrees, which makes it awkward to get cds in and out without scratching. The bass cut/boost...well, read previous posts.

Verdict: Get the Mk II, it's worth the upgrade.The cons look like alot, but in all honesty, this is one of the best things I have bought with re: to bass gear. Excellent learning/practice tool. It has cut alot of time out of learning new songs.

16. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Yup its eats batteries like no tomorrow. And guess what? The only ac adaptor you can use is the Tascam PS-PS5, I tried a generic model and found that Tascam have a special size adaptor input plug and it didnt work, so I had to buy the Tascam adaptor.

17. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've had my BT1 for 2 years. It has been a very valuable tool for me. Being able to change keys is huge. I play in church and key changes are a way of life. The looping feature is great too. Keep in mind the cost of the unit. It's relatively inexpensive and IMO and good bang for the buck. I haven't had any real difficulties with it and I think I found an adapter at my house that worked fine.

18. How is it with burned cds? I have the BT1 and it rarely plays a burned cd.

Thanks

19. I have played burned cd's and haven't had a problem.

20. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    No problem with burned CD's