Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tascam CD-BT1mkII

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Chrix, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    http://www.tascam.com/Products/cdbt1mkii.html

Just wondering if anyone has seen or been able to use these yet...I know they're still relatively new on the market. Along with being able to slow down music for transcription, this one supposedly also boosts the bass to hear it better, as well as cuts it so one could play along with the recording. There's also a guitar and vocal/wind instrument one, not that those matter ;). Plus it looks as if though they're less expensive than the Superscope CD Trainers. Looks like a great tool for bassists...or any musician I suppose...

Any thoughts?

2. I have one. For what they are they are ludicrously overpriced. It does what you say.

On play back though, you can't make it back-up a couple of seconds like I can my convetional cd player (a pain in the bum for transcription duties).

The bass enhancement just blows my speakers so doesn't get used.

Where it comes into its own is for things I don't use it for - mixing in a bass guitar and playing along in the key you choose as slowly as you like to any cd. If you use a lot of Jamey's this has to be a boon. However, Slowing things down doesn't mean they sound natural or undistorted - piano sounds suffer hugely. If you think about it, you are manipulating existing vibrations and slowing them down - if the piano were played more slowly those vibrations would be different so there must be distortion.

I thought the cdbt1 was going to be a boon and not a fiddly overpriced gimmick. IMO It would be good at half the price. IMHO at the price it is it delvers neither the results nor has the build quality or ease of use to justify it.

Finnally - portable it is, but don't think about using batteries unless you're rich or have a string of rechargers on the go - it eats them for breakfast and is in no way usable as a carry arround device.

3. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    I'll keep that in mind. Maybe if I can find one kinda cheap on ebay or something, I'll look into it. I'd like one, but the only one's I've ever seen are the Superscope ones, and those are a lot more than what I'd like to spend right now.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd rather just get something like Amazing Slowdowner and play back MP3's at the speed you want. Much cheaper solution. There are some shareware plugin's for Winamp that do the same thing too.

5. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Thanks Mike for confirming my suspicions about the CBT, other reviews have been 50/50 on its value. And thanks HD for the tip.

Guess the computer room needs to become the practice room.
    But for now, mine is still in the library :(

John

6. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    I have the older model. I use it to:

1. Practice with head phones to avoid waking the family while practicing late.

2. Play with some training CDs. Frieland's walking bass lines.

3. At band rehearsals to change keys on CDs for the singers.

I find it more useful than my small 8" 15w practice amp that I spent about the same amount on.

7. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    I have one and I enjoy using it. It does change the key of the the CD which I find useful when my band doesn't play the song in the key of the recording and I want to practice with the CD.
    The batteries only last about an hour and a half continuous. It does have a tuner built in. I don't use the bass enhancement mode because it sounds too muddled. I can pull a bass line from the regular track. The Bass Trainer can loop parts of songs to practice as well as loop them at a slower speed to learn a bass line. I take it with me on vacations to practice. I have a Washburn headless Bantam bass too. Very compact traveling. I paid $117.00 for mine from Guitar Center. I do DO wish it could play MP3s though. It has effects, but I don't use effects for the most part. It has a line in and out if you want to jam with a guitarist who might have the guitar version. I thought it was worth the money considering Tom Shultz's "Bassman" cost about $60.00 and only played with the CD player that you had, and had no real accoutrements.
    I would by another one tomorrow if if played MP3s as well.

8. I have tried both the Tascam unit and the Amazing SlowDowner, and found that the sound quality of the ASD is much better than the Tascam.

ASD will permit you to change the pitch/key independent of the speed/tempo or change both together. It will play wav, cda, mp3, etc. You can also rip a cd using a different key and or tempo, save it to your hard drive and later burn a cd with the saved/altered file(s).

I have made several practice cd's this way. The demo is free but limited to the 1st two tracks of a cd or short mp3 file.

ASD also has excellent tech support if it's needed.

The Tascam unit is great for a portable unit or practice/headphone amp, but don't expect great sound from either the cd playback or it's audio processing functions.

Tascam inserts short silent segments into the playback stream to accomplish a speed/tempo reduction which is very noticeable but tolarable is you need self contained portable.

ASD will also run on a P3 or higher laptop.

9. tango6

tango6 Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Can anyone explaint to me the techincal differences between the tascam guitar trainer and the tascam bass trainer???

thank you