Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tascam DP-01fx VS Fostex MR8HD

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bass-shy, Jan 21, 2006.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Any thoughts regarding either of these? They have similar features and prices and both should do what I need. Is there anything I should know about either one? Thanks.

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I've had both and, to me, the biggest single difference is that the MR8HD can record 4 tracks simultaneously while the Tascam can only record 2 tracks simultaneously.

The Tascam is physically larger (more bulky to carry around). The Tascam buttons/controls may be a bit more robust and, IIRC, the sliders have a bit more travel (easier to deal with).

I use it as a portable tracking device - a front end for my computer-based multitrack software. So a don't really care about the built-in effects or those bells & whistles.

But I still have the MR8HD which replaced the Tascam for me.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks for your input. I am really torn between these two because they should both do what I need. I guess it will come down to which one is easier to track with. I don't care about the effects or editing possibilities. I would rather re-track a part if it's not perfect than edit it to suit my needs. I think a lot of people record beyond their own capabilities and end up with songs that they can't reproduce live. So, thanks again.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have one more question. Can the MR8HD drive a CD burner without the help of a computer? I read somewhwre that it can, but then, I read somewhere else that it can't. This would good to know. I definitely want to be able to burn my songs to CD, but I don't really want to use a computer if I don't have to. I apologize for my density in these matters. Thanks for your help.

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Well, I bought a Tascam DP-01FX/CD today. The clincher was availability more than anything. I was able to buy it locally rather than order it online. This one also seems a little easier to use. The manual is half as long as the Fostex, has onboard EQ and has it's own stereo master track. I read that you have to do some tricky ping-ponging with the Fostex in order to master songs. So, this should do what I need and I can burn CDs without shelling out for an add-on burner or computer. For the money, this one seems tough to beat. I'll post a review in the Gear Reviews section after I've spent ample time with it. Any questions, just let me know. Hopefully I can help narrow down some of your options as this is a rather competitive price point for recorders.

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    After spending a week with the Tascam DP-01FX/CD, I can say that it is very cool. It's super easy to use and sounds great. Anyone contemplating the purchase of a digital multi-track should definitely check this one out. For the money, it is killer.

7. Thanks for the recommendation, bass-shy; I'm on the path of digital recording and was considering the Tascam, Fostex and Zoom. My gut said to go for the Tascam after reading manuals from all 3 makes.

8. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Just think about your usage and make sure that recording 2 tracks simultaneously is enough for what you want. I used mine Tuesday to record some songs the guitarist has written and was able to record his guitar direct, a mic on the guitar and 2 different mics on the vocal (more than absolutely necessary but I'm experimenting/learning).

My Fostex has now been updated with the USB master capability (it was in the serial number range that I had to send it in) but I haven't tried hooking up an external burner to it yet (I dump to the computer to mix/mess with the tracks).

Both are good units with different strengths and weaknesses - just pick the one that fits what you want to do and have fun with it!

9. Thanks for the advice about line inputs, craigb. I'm heading off to the local GC this weekend to compare the two.

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Let us know what you decide. These are both good machines and it was tough for me to determine which one would better suit my needs. I went for the Tascam because it was easily available to me and does everything I need. Recording four tracks simultaneously would be nice, though. In the end, you have to ask yourself what features are necessary and what ones are just gimmicky. Heed craigb's advice and find out what you need before shelling out for one. Good luck.

11. Hey Fellas! After much scrutiny of the both units (the Tascam and the Fostex) I bought the Tascam DP01FX. I thought the Fostex was nice, but the Tascam made more sense to me. The fact that it can only record 2 channels simultaneously wasn't a factor because I perform alone (ukulele and voice). I also bought a set of MXL condenser mics to go with it.
    The whole thing should arrive sometime this week. After I've played with it and read the manual I'll post my first recording (shudder).

Thanks to you guys for your help.

12. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Congrats on the purchase. I hope you're as pleased with yours as I am with mine. Good luck.

13. Okay, I'm less than a week into using the Tascam, and let me say, it's pretty simple to use. Read the instructions, highlight the important stuff (not that much) and have your head about you. It's pretty logical, there are no imbedded menus, and few multifunction buttons. It turns out remarkably good recordings, bearing you have decent mics and sound setting. I haven't mixed anything, nor have I mastered anything -- I'm just trying to get second-nature with the machine and process.
    There are a bunch of bass effects built-in but I haven't used any yet. That's it for now. Signing off.

14. Yep I'm doing all this as well. You think that you've worked it all out and then you read another post somewhere that throws the whole process. Portable or mains / 4 track sim or 2 track / FX non-FX / CD non CD......agh!

OK it would be nice if I could use it in lessons for making some on the fly recordings to help. It would be nice to take it around and help students make recording for their state school exam and project work. I can live with 2 track sim because i could use a mixer on the front end to record two or three players and do a seteo mix out to the recorder. I'd like something that's serviceable - the idea of using it as a portabel is nice but are the Boss BR600 or Fostex MR8 tough enough? I#ve just ordered a Sony MP3 player that's supposed to have a recording factility - cost me $20 - I'll post a reort on this one - perhaps this does my school thing and the portable vibe? My feelings have always erred toward the Tascom DP02CF (don't need a CD burner - happy to do the final mix (whatever) off the Desktop.)

I've also been through the desktop recording thing by getting a copy of Sony ACID - but I didn't upgrade the soundcard so I just have a mic line in on the PC and I think the Realtek card struggles even with iTunes! And isn't that latency thing a huge niggle! Drives me nuts trying to sync even two tracks - four tracks - don't go there! Upgrading the soundcard would cost half the cost of a Tascam or Fostex - just can't bring myself to spend more on my desktop guys.

Any ideas or experiences. I'm thinking I should just get the Tascam and use the Sony for the mobile recording in mono - I'll let you know about this soon - if it works it's a great recording find.