1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tascam GT-R1 questions

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by boondox, Mar 31, 2009.

1. boondox

boondox

Oct 8, 2008
    Thinking 'bout pickin one of these up. Anybody have one yet? I was wondering if you can record direct and with the built-in mic simultaneously and have a mix of them both. How are the amp settings and effects for bass? And is the trainer almost as good as the BT-1, or is it better to buy the recorder and trainer separately? Thanks for any advice.

2. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    I've got the original CD BT1 version and am thinking about one of these too. But I haven't been able to find much info about it. I'd be really surprised if the looping and slowdown was'nt exactly the same as the other units.

There is more talk about trainers over in the General Instruction forum. Perhaps you should try posting this there. Please post your impressions about it if you decide to get one!

3. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    I have one, love it. Haven't used it very long yet, but it has the right feature set for me.

I don't think you can record two different sources simultaneously. You can record a WAV first, then blend your bass with that into a new WAV. I don't use effects, so haven't used the ones in the Tascam either. Some things I don't particularly like in the unit. The tuner works, but it is not autosensing. You have to select each string in a menu consecutively. Too cumbersome if you're used to an automatic tuner. No wallwart included, default package is charge through USB only. I purchased a matching plug and soldered that to an old Nokia charger (it needs 5V). Works fine for me. The cover for SD card and USB connector is flimsy when opened. Proprietary battery, pretty expensive if I ever need a new one. Battery life is long enough for my use, it only runs out if we forget to recharge in between. Advanced controls take some getting used to (there's more than one menu, with different ways to get into the different menu's).

Other than that, great unit, no regrets whatsoever, would buy it again. I use it as a trainer mainly. Works great for me. Slow down without changing pitch, change pitch without slowing down or speeding up, looping. The rotating wheel control is nice for ff/rew in a song, I like that much better than pressing/holding buttons. My gf records a lot of acoustic piano with it (she teaches music), sounds good.