tascam mkII

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johans, Oct 25, 2005.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
  2. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I love mine. I use it all the time. Quite a handy tool to have. :cool:
  3. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I agree!! Great practice tool. There are a couple of things you should keep in mind. Make sure you get the AC adapter. The device uses up batteries fast. Also, get a good pair of headphones. Your bass will sound much better.
  4. AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    I have the Mk I. The menu navigation is a bit perplexing, but honestly, I can't imagine being without it. Especially when transcribing songs.

Ditto the remark about good headphones. I bought some 50.00 Sonys that do the job quite nicely.

- E.
  5. Scroller

Jul 16, 2005
    I was hoping to find something about this interesting piece of equipment buried within these threads...anyway, I'm thinking about buying one and I'd love to hear more about it. Didn't Bass Player do a review of this device? Does anybody know which issue? Also are there other models, or is this THE ONE to get? The slow down feature without changing the pitch sounds like an awesome feature, but are there any other features that help to boost (without making it too "boomy") and isolate the bass line from the rest of the music? I've killed many a cassette player, as well as casettes by hammering the stop/pause/fast forward buttons. Are the buttons heavy duty enough to handle the abuse? Does it work well for acoustic (double bass) lines too? Thanks in advance...
  6. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I have one, and it is a versatile tool, but the sound quality could be better. If you visit BassBooks (www.bassbooks.com) you find that having that accompanying CD for practice is now de rigueur. The Tascam is the greatest for playng with these practice CDs. If you even have one of, say, Ed Friedland's books (great teacher, along with Gary Willis) then you should buy a Tascam (just MHO). :D
  7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've had one for some months now, and use it almost daily!

It's a very valuable tool for someone who needs to tavel light and practice in different places. The slow-down feature works; yup. It really seems kind of flimsy - but I've been banging it around for months. This one skips and glitches sometimes. The bass preamp that's built-in is terrible - awful; I have to use the Bass Xciter to even be able to stand the fidelity; and noisy 'isn't even the word', people. The loop and cue features are very cool. A couple of the bass effects are great; the compressor is pretty terrible. It's ridiculous how it eats batteries; I mean that's gotta just be bad design somehow - they must not be using low-power chips whenever they can, or they're using a Makita drill motor to spin the CD. Sometimes (several times now) it looses all its EQ settings and effect patches and settings - takes like a half-hour to get'em back close. It takes like for-ever to cue-up a new CD; I swear it's broke every time I put in a different CD. It won't read MP3s; that's just LAME.

I think they're the only game in town. That being the case, I'd replace mine right away if I lost it, or repair it if broke. I wouldn't want to be without it!

They do kind-of suck. Don't get me wrong, now... But you probably should get one if you learn songs off CDs.

(edit) Oh! ..Or for lessons - absolutely, Westland. Invaluable for that; gotta have one for that.
  8. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong

... you are much more ambitious than I ... I haven't even bothered with the EQ :D
  9. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    I've had both the older CDBT-1 and the new CDBT-1 mkll. I used the original one a lot and when it quit on me (CD player stopped working altogether) I immediately bought the mkll. The controls are a bit better on the mkll (easier to use IMO) and it has a metronome built in.

I agree with the above post that the preamp is not really that good. It's easy to overdrive the input stage with an active bass (even when set for active), and the effects, EQ, etc. are not really worth using, as mentioned above also.

IMO, it's a very handy device for learning new songs, transcribing, and silent practice. That said, they are bit flimsy. The first one gave up not long after the waranty ran out and the second one is exhibiting symptoms of CD player issues (skips and "pops").

I've recently switched to an alternative that does a much better job. I'm using software called The Amazing Slow Downer, which I run on a laptop, and a headphone amp/instrument mixer called Cafe Walter HA1A. Used together, I get the ability to slow down, change key, etc like the Tascam, the improved reliability of the CD drive in my computer, and a much better headphone amp. The Cafe Walter has tons of headroom and is truly a hi fidelity piece of equipment.

The Cafe Walter costs about the same as a Tascam mkll, so the additional cost is just the amount for the ASD software (assuming of course that you have a computer with a CD drive).

Just my $.02, YMMV, etc ,etc...

10. shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    what kinda headphones is everyone using with theirs?

I need to buy a decent pair soon

p.s: i love my tascam, use it everyday!
  11. whackdoodle

Nov 2, 2005
    If a person were to buy only one practise tool, would it be the mkII or the Pandora PX4D? (One has a cd player, one has fidelity and effects, one eats batteries, one is more portable, etc. etc.)
  12. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Both (1+1=1) ... they are different animals ... the Pandora has great sound, but no CD

I use AKG K24 headphones ... cheap, light, comfortable and sound great
  13. whackdoodle

Nov 2, 2005
    Westland said...

No can do. I know that they're different, but I can only swing one.
  14. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I just downloaded the demo version of the Amazing Slower Downer ... this is really much nicer than the Tascam. Perhaps it is a bit unfair to compare $1000 PC electronics to $100 box. The interface is nice .. I might even use the EQ ...

So to whackdoodle ... how about a Pandora hooked to your computer with ASD installed?