Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tascam Pocket Studio 5

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Thumper, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm looking for some feedback on this unit. My band would like to start playing in SLC, and most of those club owners want to hear a demo CD even though all we do is covers (the local owners just stop in when we're playing a gig at another club). I know many people like the 788, and I agree it looks like a great unit. But I'd like a less costly alternative.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If what you're looking for is a demo to get work, you'd be better off spending the bread on studio time. Get two or three songs well rehersed and cut them live. Re-do the vocals and you're in and out in an afternoon. CD in hand.

Maybe somebody nearby has a home / project studio you can guinea-pig for. The dollars would be lower usually, but it will take longer as you and the studio owner are generally learning together.

Home studio stuff is cool, but it takes time to learn how to run it and how to mix and it isn't cheap. The recorder is just the start.

To paraphrase somebody or other ... a studio is a hole surrounded by 4 walls into which you pour money!

3. Good advise!!

4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Thanks guys, that's what I'll do.