tascam pocketstudio 5

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jivetkr, May 14, 2003.

1. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Any feed back would be appreciated.

2. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I just ordered one of these from Musician's Friend. It was between this and the Pandora PXR-4. I'm mainly looking for a practice tool that enable me to upload stuff onto the net (if for no other reason than to establish some credibility); this looks to be the better of the two in that respect. I have no interest in writing songs. I'll try to get a review and some samples posted in sometime in the next few weeks (assuming the Koreans would quit friggin' shooting at each other). :)
  3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    bumping thread.. I'm interested in this unit as well.... there's a couple on ebay for about $270... seems like a good deal to me.
  4. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    This thing is pretty cool. I'm still just testing the waters, but I think it will do everything I need. Not very intuitive though; you really gotta RTFM. Good thing they have a forum over at Tascam.

Here is a semi-arythmic test, with no punch ins. Just one of the canned patterns with the bass track replaced. I had to kinda sneak up on it, because I couldn't figure out how do a count in. The fact it's in addendum to the manual makes me think they forgot about it too. ;)

I'll do a real review when I get the thing figured out a little more. :cool:

5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That was happenin', bro!
    You have that Jaco-gurgle goin' on.
    Great stuff!
  6. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Thanks, man. Still got a lotta work to do. And yeah, I've gone farty. I found my bridge pickup about a year ago, and I can't stop playing with it. I'm gonna go blind. ;)

Some of the patterns on this thing are plain @$$ though. And the cheezoid MIDI electric guitar patches are double-@$$. I guess since it's mainly guitar players who buy these things, they're not going to waste time making decent guitar voices. It's mainly a practice tool for me though, so I guess I can suck it up. :meh:

Or learn to play guitar...:eek: ;)
  7. ufo

Jun 3, 2003
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I looked at this, and ended up getting a ZOOM PS02.

I know some people who are happy with the tascam, but I think I heard that it's track file format is proprietary (although when you mix down it does produce an MP3).

The ZOOM PS02 just had too many features for me to pass up- one of which was the extremely small size (I lay down tracks with it sitting in my shirt pocket- no joke) and I just really like all of the zoom effects which follow the same architecture as those of the ZOOM Bass pedals.

But I'm not knocking the tascam- just keep in mind that it's a little bulkier. I"m a big tascam fan in general (have a 424 4-track).

You can hear some PS02 recordings, check out my site

I'm not a pro recording engineer, just a weekend warrior, but they turned out OK.

8. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Cool stuff, UFO. Recorded LOUD though--I about busted my cans. Warn us next time. ;)

The bulk issue isn't really an issue for me; I ain't takin' it anywhere. :)

I've already come across a couple of issues that require "work-arounds" though, which kinda ticks me off. Frinstance, when you want to edit the preset patterns in "user" mode, it imports the pattern only, NOT the chord progession. How dumb is that? There is a way to do it, but the manual doesn't mention it. I really, really hate when something is programmed in such a way that complex tasks are simplified, but simple tasks are complexified. It makes me want to kick some bonehead programmer right in the nads. :mad:

Didn't stop me from making another little tune though. ;)