Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tascam portastudio 424 mk111, or fostex vf80cd

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by groovking, Feb 23, 2003.

1. ive been trying to decide what to buy to start setting up a home recording studio.. i was wondering if any of you have experience with these units, tascam portastudio mk 111 or the fostex vc80cd. i have a pc,..obviously and was thinking with the tascam i can probably use my cd burner in my pc to burn a final copy. i think with the tascam i would have to mix down to like a 2 track recorder and then to the pc somehow. ,,,or do you somehow send it to the pc as is from the tascamportapottty. on the other hand the fostex has a burner built in for final burn and uses an internal hard drive for the premix down stuff. correct me please as im probably off bse somewhere.......

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The Tascam 424 MkIII has phono lineouts. My soundblaster has a mini stereo mini jack line in. I use phono to mini lead bought from comet (try Radio Shack). I use wavestudio to record and Audacity (which is free try http://www.google.com ) to edit stuff. As long as you don't drive the levels into the red and take time to get a good mix (play it on speakers/headphones, run off a copy and play it on the hifi and car etc).

I'm not sure about the facilities of the Foxtex model you mention but the reason I went to tape is that the 424 Mkiii will take 6 inputs and record to 4 tracks. Many 'portastudio's' have a two track limit. THis might not be a problem to you.

Work out what you need to do and see if the recorders you are looking at will do it. FOr me I had to have at least 3 channels recording at a time.

3. i liked the fact that the fostex has a 20 gig harddrive which is hours of recording time and the burner is right in the unit for a final mixdown. you right ive got to decide whats best. im very limited knowledgewise on recording,....by the way ive got a soundblaster live soundcard also.

4. cs, so it doesnt matter whether you record in analogic/or digital. i dunno if my pcs processor can handle much more than a fart, its a 300 mhz mk11 cyrix. .moves fast for what i use it for.......got a 20 gig harddrive and 256k ram pc1, radeon 7000 graphics, and the soundblaster live. pretty much old stuff!.......compared to today. i got the pc @5 years ago..
    you think this may work?

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    sorry for the delay in the reply

My first PC was a P100 and I succesfully transferred from the 424 converted to mp3 and uploaded to my website (although very slowly).

All you need to do is configure the soundcard to record line inputs.