1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tastefully done slap video. Not wanking for a change.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hookus, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well, after getting tired of all the ferocious slap videos out there, I thought I would post a video of some very well done old school slap. This guy is real tight, and it is very tastefully done.

2. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    That's cool video thanks. Great song too.

3. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Yup, cool song, there is so much room for improvisation in it for bass.

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Woah, what's up with that string tension?

Slick playing though.

5. That was a great video. I loved your tone. What were you running your Jazz through?

6. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    That is not me, just some guy. He has several videos, all of them cover a very diverse tone range.

7. Thanks for clearing that up.

8. Used to love playing that one live...

I played the chorus almost identical to the clip, but the verse I played in a laid back finger style. On my Pedulla Thunderbass... soundwise, think cross between Fender Jazz and MM Stingray.

Close your eyes and go (groove).

9. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Nice video!

10. While searching for something else, I came across this thread and this video.

Now, it's not like I'm a great player, but you know what they say about those who can't and those who can't teach....

The first person that came to mind for truely tasteful slapping was Meshell Ndegeocello. In this video, she starts out hitting the strings about as hard as that guy above, but then really mellows things out quickly when everyone else comes in.

I think it's obvious how much funkier the original is, and how even the "tastefully done" video is overplayed (if you kind of separate out the bass that's a bit too loud for the mix). Mind you, I don't think it's way overplayed, but just a tad.

Thoughts anyone?

11. For your consideration, here's another tasteful slap video where the guy (TB's Lex) is playing very tastefully in my opinion. While it's a very busy bass line, it's tasteful, and not competing with the vocals or anything else. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEPnmktAfpI

12. You nailed it.
    By the way, am I the only one who didn't know that Lionel Ritchie also plays sax?

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Nothing wrong with a bit of flash though when the player is good at it!

14. Actually, I think Lex did!

15. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Here's my problem with the incredibly fast slap bass stuff - it doesn't groove. Here's a Mark King solo. Now i'm not criticizing him for the solo at the beginning. If you want a chance to show off during your show, do it.

But look at the crowd. You know what I noticed about them? They are motionless, sitting as if they are watching a film. Not even any head bobbing going on. I'm not saying they aren't enjoying it. And if you dig technically impressive playing, fine by mean. But there's no emotion to it for me. Not funky, not soulful, not angry or melancholy. Nothing.

The other thing I've noticed from bassplayers I've met personally that strive to play like Wooten, King, Claypool etc is that they often haven't learned how to interact with a drummer or how to fit into a band context. That's why I'm always impressed with Zender's lines. Incredible groove, technically impressive AND he serves the song.

But in general, it is hard to have a slap line that serves the song because it I agree that it is so easy to go overboard with it. That's why to this day no one has topped Larry Graham for me as far as slap bass players.

16. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yeah, well, it's England.

So, on the Brick House video - I like all the other videos you get to watch from the "suggestions" on the right side. Sort of like a greatest hits of slap bass sitcom themes from '70s and '80s, all played by headless teenagers in their pajamas.

:D

17. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That might be the oddest fetish I've ever heard.

;)

18. JazzyLambert

JazzyLambert

Dec 8, 2008
    Australia
  19. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    commented!

(im happyslappysoong)

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I was just about to post that he started out ok and then just butchered it! One must resist the urge to overplay and lose the groove! The groove is all that matters!