1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tastes of bass players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kitcar765, May 13, 2006.

1. when i first started playing bass, i found that i just loved the look of some bass guitars and hated the looks of other bass guitars, and now after playing a little longer, i found my tastes have compleatly changed, for example, i thought jazz bass's were ugly as sin when i first started playing, but now i think they are sexy!, its strange how this has happend, i never thought i would love warwicks, and other such bass guitars, but now i would kill for one. has anyone else found that their tastes towards bass styles have compleatly changed?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think it's a normal thing for your tastes to evolve. For me, not so much in basses themselves, but my taste in music has changed quite a bit over the last decade or so.

3. Mr.Krinkle

Mr.Krinkle

May 12, 2006
    I just started playing with an Ibanez and I think they have the best looking basses hands down. I dont have enough experience for my taste to have changed yet.

4. not for basses, but i am kind of in that process for guitars...i never really liked the strat shape, but they are kinda growing on me...same with the tele...i hated that squished-looking headstock, and i still do, but i love the sound, so i discovered the 72 tele custom with the pre-cbs headstock...excellent guitar :) all if i could afford it :)

i don't think that has happened with basses, i haven't met a bass i didn't like :) (wishbass included)

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

When I first started playing I used to think Fenders were balls, and would never have considered one.

Then I went to a pawn shop and played one, a sunburst MIM. It played really good. But was too much money.

I went to another pawn shop and picked up my Jazz (Arctic White MIM) and there was no other choice.

Earlier on in my bass playing time I thought Warwick was the best brand out there... now I know that they don't fit my hands/ears very well (well, most of them. Love the Corvette Fretless Standard).

6. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    +1 they've got some kooky shapes!

I have only one objection re: body shapes. I hate it when they look like a gun. I'd rather not play than play a guitar shaped like a gun. That is just wrong, wrong, WRONG.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Sheryl disagrees with you.

8. Minimaul

Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    When I first started playing bass I disliked any 'burst' bass. But, that all changed when I picked up my `78 Fender Jazz. I fell in with 'burst bass's once I saw one in person.

9. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    i think your taste in everything evolves with time, be it bass related, food, clothes, anything really. (your taste in gf/wife shouldn't change though)

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah taste can really change, for me I think it also came with being alittel more open minded on some stuff.

11. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    That looks more like an actual gun!

12. got a jazz bass copy today, i think it looks sexy, and i always saw them as ugly, maybe bass players are more open minded than guitar plays and so we exept change in designs more openly, yes i know there are loads of, lets say, guitar designs, but to me, nothing seems quite as wacky as what i have seen in bass players hands

13. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    How great that our tastes keep changing.

Remember how everyone used to write "don't change!" in everyone else's yearbooks?

Looking back, it's hard to think of a worse curse.

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I laughed when I saw that Sheryl Crow pic. Now that she is
    in the news again > bump

15. I used to hate the look of MM Stingrays, now i have two :p

16. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I used to hate Ibanez but now I love"em.
    I used to love Fenders but now I hate them. Go Figure! :meh: