Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tatoos

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by big daddy cool, Apr 26, 2003.

1. I think that's how it's spelt anyway.

Point is, I'm thinking I'd like a tatoo in a few years time but I really don't know what I want or where I want it.

I was thinking possibly something on either my upper or lower back- Not sure where else would be nice to have one.

I was thinking that something tribal might be nice. Perhaps something Mauri, or aberigani, or ossibly red indian... i'm not sure.

I used to really like the mauri bands that they have around their bicep, but now everyone seems to have them so they're kinda tacky.

Any suggestions or comments? (i know its for life btw)

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Where is your head ?
    Get a bass clef of course.
    [​IMG]

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ive got two.........

On my upper left arm is a piston & connecting rod surrounded by fire, and my upper right arm is the "christmas tree" used in drag racing.

5. A Tattoo is a very personal thing to me. I have several. The point is be sure its what you want
    because it is forever. Yes they can be removed but it will cost you ten times as much, and are ten
    times more painful to remove. And there will still be signs of the tattoo. (IMO)
    Everyone has a different tolerance to pain so remember to chose wisely where you put it. Also
    find a artist who has years of experience, and if their studio does not look as clean as a doctors office I would suggest you go somewhere else. You can do a search here in TB land and find several
    threads about tattoo's.

Good Luck !!

6. I have a aboriginal style graphic of a platypus on the back of my left calf... and a smilie on the outer side of my right...thinking of a bass clef or a rattlesnake for my next one...

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i've always wanted a black and blue star on my right hand, i think it would look cool as im playing...

bp13

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree with everything Chopper said. Tattoo shops aren't regulated by the government (at least in my state) so you have to choose carefully. A good tatooist should have some photos of their actual work. Also, when the tatooist lays the stencil down make sure you are happy with how it sets on your body before they start inking you.

Not that I'm putting anybody down, but one of the things the ticks me off is all this people who think they are cool because of some crappy home made tattoo they got off their buddy while getting drunk at a party. Man, a tatoo is sacred, why would you let some drunk give you a crappy tatoo in which half the inks probaly going to bleed out anyways? :(

Also, I wanted to add, as far as deciding where to place your tatoo, I'm not one to promote conforminity but you also must be realistic, I would suggest getting a tatoo (at least your first one) in a place that's easy to hide when need to be. I was an IT technician and I'm planning on going to college to study pyschology so I made sure all of my tatoo's are about an inch above my wrist. That way, when I have to be in a professional environment, all I have to do is where a long sleeve shirt. I would love to have a small tatoo on my hand or even one on my neck, but I also know that if I ever did that, I might as well forget about any job that I want. Of course, that depends on what you want to do in life. If you're something like a mechanic or a construction worker, it probaly wouldn't be much of an issue, but for the type of work I do, it definatley would be.

9. can't really give advice on WHAT to get; it should be something important to you, and only you can choose what it should be. but as far as WHERE to get it...
    your back would be a good place to get one; if you get one in a spot on your body that you see all the time, you might get sick of it; that would suck, as tatoos are kinda permanent(duh.)

10. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I'd recommend getting one somewhere that you can see (without a mirror).

I've got a tattoo on my shoulder and one on my lower back, but they might as well not even be there, because I never see them.

11. I want a tatoo of John Paul Jones' symbol from Led Zep IV, its so cool. As for where, I dunno really, shoulder seems like a good place, you can show it off if you want or hide it if you want.

12. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Go for the Bass Clef, I was thinking on getting one like this.
    [​IMG]

13. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    I've been thinking long and hard about getting F-holes tatooed on my lower back. (starting around the last rib.)

14. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Here is the one I want to get....

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you're so unsure of what or where you want then I suggest not getting one, at least until you are 100% sure of what you want. Tattoos are permanent, so make sure you get something you know you'll want to have for the rest of your life.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

Get a Jazz bass......

17. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    that image is copyrighted. I asked Michael Manring. I was thinking about that too.;)

18. Maynard from Tool has a crazy ass tat on his back, it is like a pelvis and spine with a flame on the top only it isn't to scale with his spine and such.

Here it is
    [​IMG]

19. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
  20. I'll be damned that is a scorpian thing....I thought it was an outline of a pelvis and spine, that would be cool too though