1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tattoo I'll Be Getting Soon

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by OysterBoy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. OysterBoy

OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, originally I wanted to have an overhead view of stonehenge (perhaps as it was before parts of it toppled), with the words "Ad Astra Per Aspera" encircling the bottom half of it, but I just couldnt find a good enough image (and attempting to draw it failed miserably). So I settled on something like this, which isnt too bad.

[​IMG]

The circle idea was planned for the inside of my wrist, but since that plan has been nixxed, I'm not sure where this will go. Maybe collar bone or the top of a pec.. Any ideas? And what do you think?

Ad astra per aspera is a latin proverb which means "To the stars through thorns (or, "difficulties / hard ways")". Lately I've been really high on human potential (rather then pot; 2 weeks sober, coming from a daily habit for 2 years), and this tattoo really epitomies this mentality (when you consider what an achievement stonehenge is).

2. Roland777

Roland777

Jun 1, 2006
    Sweden
    Stoner-voice: Whoah duuude! That's deep!

No, but seriously, that is indeed a thoughtful tattoo idea. Best of luck, and hope you'll be happy with it!

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    That's a neat idea. I'm also planning to get AAPA tattooed on me somewhere but it'll be a while (my rule is that I have to be solid on the design and placement for two years before I can actually get it).

That phrase perfectly describes parenthood to me, which is my attachment to it.

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Did you see this video of a guy constructing a full-sized stonehenge, by himself, using pre-mechanical methods?

As far as the tattoo, I would be inclined to think of that as something to go across the upper back, or maybe the chest. I think if you did it too small the impact and meaning of the image would be lost, like the tiny Stonehenge in Spinal Tap. Perhaps you could have a 360 degree image of Stonehenge circling your upper arm as an armband, and have the slogan running along your forearm?

5. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Yeah, I'd watch the size on that. Definately don't go with the wrist, and If it was me, I'd look for a better image of stonehenge than that. Talk to the artist, and see what they need to get the image on you, and really look at their black and grey work in their portfolio.

The stonehenge as an armband/legband is a great idea, as I (just imho) think it might look funny on the upper chest or collar bone.

How big were you thinking about going, and how much detail did you want in it?

6. I wonder if you gave the idea to a decent tattoo artist if they could maybe make that overhead view (circular) with the tops of the rocks pointing slightly inward. then the lettering could go around the bottom curve of the design.

You could also have that "landscape" view as you've posted along your back shoulders - but that is a "HUGE" commitment.

I think the overhead circular view would be easier to wear.

Good luck and post a pic when you've had it done.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    How very Spinal Tap of you! :D

I plan to get "Industrial Zen" down my left calf in the next few weeks, in the style from the front of the album of the same name. Wish me luck!

8. that video was incredible

9. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    No one has mentioned this yet, but congrats to you on your sobriety - better than any tattoo, but a nice memorial nonetheless. Keep it going, man.

10. Just because you couldnt draw it doesnt mean any good tattoo artist couldnt.

If you want the original idea more, then ask your tattooish to help you out, just sit and talk it over with them what you are wanting, and they'll be able to draw it up and let you see.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Just be sure to specify whether you mean inches or feet!

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

All the best with it. I might want to get a tattoo one day :p

13. OysterBoy

OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Last night I found out that AAPA is the name of a band (shouldve known). Whats worse is, theyre a pretty good band. Infact I can see myself listening to them. So, while the message still means a lot to me, I simply can't get a tattoo that also happens to be a band's name. I'm thinking just a tatoo of stonehenge. The message will remain the same, I just won't have to explain it so much as I would with the words :p.

What do you guys think of just one of the trio-sections, but bigger and detailed? By trio, I mean two vertical blocks with the horizontal on top.

14. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Don't let that stop you. It was the Kansas state motto long before they took the name. Any phrase memorable enough to get tattooed onto you has probably been used as a band name at one point or another.

15. OysterBoy

OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Thats true. I was also looking at:

Exegi monumentum ære perennius

"I have built a monument more durable then bronze"

which I think is a little arrogant, but it really suits me and my life-attitude.

16. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    If you can't be arrogant on your own body, where can you be, right?

I like it, go fer it.

17. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    If that can mean the same thing to you as the whole monument it allows for easier placement, and you can get it big enough that it'll last, and maybe even look a little rocky without being huge.

As for the new saying, I think its awesome, but it'd be either a fairly large tattoo, or an extremely basic font (ie stick letters(

18. It was also Maycomb's motto in To Kill A Mockingbird

Doesn't it mean From Mud to The Starts through? If it doesn't I'm going to need to have a lil talk with my 8th grade english teacher.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021