Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tattoo's And Acne/Acne Scarring

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gazman_res, Mar 27, 2005.

1. This is a bit of an odd scenario, but here goes.

Ive been thinking about getting a tattoo for the last few years. about a year ago i decided i wanted a phoenix on my back from the shoulders, up to the neck and also down to the lower back, it would be quite large. I said its a big decision and i would give myself 12 months to see if i would end up changing my mind. Im now approaching 12 months and since that time i havent changed my mind about it, and definitly sure i want it.

But sometihng i noticed is acne scarring on my back. When i was younger id never get that many pimples on my face, more on my back & shoulders, problem was that id never let it go untouched, i would always pick at them, leaving many many scares.

My query is how would a tattoo look when its done over acne scarring? :help:

Also, does anyone know of any creams or lotions that can get 'rid of' scarring like that? :confused:

Thanks for any kinda input! :hyper:

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I dont know about the Acne, but I hope you've got serious cash put away for a full back piece :|!

3. My advice. FWIW, would be to find urself a really, really GOOD tatoo artist. They will guide you through. No drama about the scars, believe me, they can do amazing work - IF you go to the best artist.

4. thanks for the replies guys,

I'll just elaborate a little about the scarring.. pimples are round, i pick the top of it, leaving a circular scar, they're not big, but i have many.

Also with regards to the cost, money is not an issue on this one.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    A good artist will make a tattoo flow with the contours of your body. In some cases they will tattoo over it (if it's well healed) and in some cases they will tattoo around it. They deal with this a lot (moles, other scars) and it really just depends. This is really a question that you'll ultimately ask the artist, because the artist is who will be making the decisions on how to deal with it.

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You can tattoo over scars. The only problem with scarring is it tends to make shading a bit more dificult. The artists from the studio I work at have done fantastic cover ups over scars. Like said, make sure you find a GOOD artist that you feel comfortable with.

7. Many good tat artists specialize in scar coverup.
    i.e. c-section, surgery......I've seen a few that unless you had a magnifing glass you would never know about the scar.

good luck...... and welcome to the club

P.S. don't shop for an artist by price, look for reputation and actually see there work....it's forever and you don't want it screwed up to save a lousy couple hundred bucks!!!!

8. I say don't do it. (just an opinion--and probably a bad one)

I work with old veterans who have tattoes from their military service, and by the time you're 65 that pheonix will look like a large, smeared, turd on your back.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best with your tattoo in the works, post pics when its done.

10. I agree with surgeon. plus why pay all that money for something you can only see by looking in a mirror.. I think that if your gnarly eoungh to get a tat why not get one on your face...

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Because for a lot of people, tattoos are more for yourself than for anyone else.

Regarding Surgeon's comment on tattoo longevity, I would bet that the bulk of those old veterans didn't do any kind of proper after care. How you treat it immediately after getting it will effect how it looks long term, and even after that you still have to protect it from the sun.

12. It's fun trying to guess what they are, though.

My music teacher (& favourite drummer :smug: ) has tattoos on his arms from being in the Navy (got them done somewhere in Asia, he does this funny as impression of his artist :D ), and they're inconprehensible now unless he tells you what they are.

They're Scottish drummers.

13. ripped this off from another site..
    very similiar to what i had in mind.

[​IMG]

i think something else to remember is that i have dark brown skin.. so colour is out.. this will just be in black.

14. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Tattooing techniques these days are very different to what they were back in the day. The ink is better, and since more is known about proper technique and how deep to put the ink into the skin, there's a lot less likelihood of the ink spreading like you see in some old tattoos. It's a proper "science" now, as opposed to the stuff the scratchers of old used to do. And, if properly looked after, not exposed to too much sun and respected as something you will wear for life, a tattoo done properly should look just as good in 30 years' time as it does now.

As far as acne scarring goes, it won't stop the needle. :D But it might have to be compensated for in the design, especially if it's a solid black design, as the black ink might not take as well over the scarred areas, leaving the design looking a little patchy. You could always have those bits gone over again, but prevention is better than cure.

Russ :bassist:

15. Put down the greeeezy pork chop, and pick up a nice apple. Do this like mantra. The acne should clear up right quick. ;)

And, are you big into camaros / firebirds? To the layman, that's what you're gonna come off like.

Not talkin ya out of it, but imo, if it's been done already, move onto something else.

Take this lightly, as I'm just being flip.

16. i wont take offense to any of this, so any opinions or flames are totally welcome here.

I dont have acne.. my skin has cleared out alot.. but i have acne SCARRING.. and i guess thats my concern.

17. Ah, I though by your post about your acne picking methods that you still had it....

That used to be a fun game...oh, I miss it so..... not ;)

And I hear ya on the scarring issue...but as was said, there are artists that are good with these issues.

And I'm seriously not flaming you here, my camaro comment was legit serious. Just playing Devils Advocate...there's alot of ignorant people out there. As long as you know, that's what matters, sure...but just make sure yer skin is thick enough for any comments...

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Unless it is heavy scarring i dont think their will be a problem.

19. captainbeardo

captainbeardo

Mar 11, 2005
    If you're really worried about the scarring, go see a dermatologist. They are in a better position to help you chose the best course of treatment. I would think you'd want you skin in the best possible condition before the tattooing since you're going to have the tattoo for a really long time.

20. heya mon, fill me in on the camaro and how it ties into the phoenix tattoo.. excuse my ingorance.. but i have no idea...