Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by heath_the_great, May 3, 2004.

1. Righto, Now that im of legal age here in australia (woo hoo!) im finally gonna get some tats, im not going as far as tim commerford, although that would be cool, but i have two that im definately gonna get in tribute to my two favourite bands

On my Right Wrist im getting the RHCP Astrisk star thing
    On my Left wrist im getting JPJ's rune, an ancient hex conveying competance and confidence :D

Any other ideas people?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just remember, this is permanent! Make sure it's not something you will regret later. You may want to change the position of the wrist tat. You may want to get a job where that will need to be covered up. So think on that one.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
  4. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I second that, especially about the wrist tat. I have one on my wrist, and it's really hard to cover up when I need to. I'm glad you're getting symbols instead of band names, at least. Really, though, picture yourself with these tats 30 years down the road... If you can, go for it.

P.S. While we're on this topic, I have a small tribute to Incubus on my chest, and I only did it because that band has had such a great impact on my life. I started playing bass as a result of listening to Incubus and 311, and that's good enough reason for me. It's also a symbol for good luck, when I don't feel like explaining the musical connection. :)
  5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Pictures 50 year old Heath:

Bob: What is that on your wrist?
    Heath: Its the logo of a band from the 90's, the Chilli Peppers
    Bob: The what?

Yeah good idea :)
  6. Its the same with me and the Chili Peppers, The first album i ever got was Blood Sugar Sex Magic, and That was when i was 5!...but other than chilis and led zep the only other musician who ive listened to my whole life is Hendrix, my bedroom is a shrine to those 3 bands, my walls covered in posters
  7. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    :D :D :D

It could be a lot worse than a Chilli Peppers tat. I've seen people with Good Charlotte and The Used tats. And nautical stars drive me nuts.

8. yeah, or get fo shizzle on your
    eventually ill get a tat of bootsy on my
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Didn't we just have a tattoo thread or 15 recently?
  10. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think its better to wait until the band whose "logo" you want to get tattooed on you is NOT your favourite band and then see if you want to get it done. If the symbolism and meaning for you is still there even when you have lost interest in the music (ie they have broken up or they are putting out rubbish (see Metallica ;) ) then you should think about getting the tattoo.

I see what Heath's planning to do as getting his g/f's name tattooed on him before the honeymoon period has worn off.
  11. i understand where you're coming from, but i really cant see my love for the chili peppers disapearing sooner or later, plus the rune can be done somewhere else, and ill just have the chilis one on my right wrist still, my line of work doesnt really matter about tattoo's there

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would recommend a good amount of time to discern what you are putting on your body, really think it through could you stand looking at this thing for the rest of your life. The significance is allso importent in selecting a tattoo. I too am thinking of a tattoo that is centered on a band i am a huge fan of but give it time to make sure that it isint a passing phase. Best of Luck
  13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

While we are on this topic, I have seen so many young ladies lately with some really ugly tattoos. Some are very large. The worst, though, is when these unattractive tattoos are in places that are hard to conceal such as ankles or the outside of calves. I have even very young women with tattoos that run up their necks!

I am sixty. I am really glad I don't have some of the tattoos these young women are wearing, because I'm certain that when these young women are older women like I am, their tattoos will not be very attractive. They will be even less attractive when these women are in their eighties.

Aging skin changes texture and quality, even color. Tattoos on wrinkled, sagging or stretched skin can't look becoming on women. Actually, I don't think tattoos look very attractive on old men, either. I wonder if these young women have given any thought to what their appearance will be when they are much, much older.

Some of the body peircings favored by young folks can be removed, but tattoos are difficult, painful and very expensive to remove. I'm not certain, but what scarring results when removing large, dark or multi-colored tattoos. Young folks should give some serious thought before altering their appearance in permanent ways.
  14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

My grandfather was in WWII and never wanted tattoos. One time on leave, he got drunk and woke up with anchors, eagle holding American flags, and various other military tattoos adorning both his arms. He was early twenties when this happened, this event caused him to wear long sleeve shirts for the rest of his life because he was so embarassed.

When he died in his early seventies, his arms were a blob of indistinct color.

Also, no names. My other grandfather has a tattoo of "Faye" on his arm. She was his girlfriend over sixty years ago, and hasn't seen or talked to her since they broke up.
  15. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Be a real man and get a pe'aa.

16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I think that the worst is when the tattoos are in an area that should be concealed, but they are exposing it to show off their tattoo. I'm thinking of chubby girls that really don't have the body to be going about with an exposed midriff, yet they do to show off the cookie cutter tattoo on their lower back. Although I suppose the same could be said of the naval piercings that these same girls are showing off. All that I see is the "love handles" (or sometimes - the "gut") regarding tattoos on the back of the neck, my wife has a tattoo on the back of her neck and it's pretty easy to conceal - she has to wear her hair up if she wants it to show. I don't picture that this tat will look any more out of place as she ages.
  17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Here's my original tattoo idea. You are all free to steal it, because I actually don't have or want any tattoo's (but if I did, I'd get this…)

I picture this on the leg between the ankle and the knee. It would be a band all the way around the leg, it could have some pattern or design, but the top should be pretty solid and flat looking (which would represent the ground) and there would be (mostly bass) guitars that had been jammed into "the ground" headstock first to make graves. There would be a Ric with C.L.B. 1962-1986 (Cliff Burton) on it, a Jazz with J.F.P.(Jaco), a "Buzzard Bass" with J.E. (or "Ox") a lefty strat with J.M.H. (Jimi) and another lefty guitar with K.C. (Kurt Cobain) and maybe a few other personal faves. I'd have to leave a little room for future additions.

I think that would be a pretty neat tat, but I decided I'm really not into them so I'm pretty sure I'll never get it.