1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

taught low D string? Help me find one

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thesneakyjesus, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Hey guys,
    I just got involved with this metal band that is a trio. I am required to really rip some stuff on the low D ( e string detuned).

I can play all the licks on my high D string with the pick, but the low D (the detuned one) is just a little too flabby to be quick enough.

I've tried lakland strings and also DR hi beams for this application.

I think I might need just one high tension E string. All of the other strings sit great. I just want an E string detuned down to D that still has the tension of the normal E.

Any suggestions?

2. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Billy Sheehan had a good approach to this. He was a long time user of Rotosound strings, gauges 45, 65, 85, 105. When he went to a signature set, he changed the gauges to 43, 65, 85, 110. The 110 was because he used to use a Hipshot D-Tuner a lot, and it gave him a tighter feel when he dropped down to D.

3. My Ibby SR is tuned DGCF using 50 / 70 / 90 / 110. The 110 is fine for D.

4. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    .110 should be just about perfect for a low D. Just look for a set with that as the gauge of the lowest string.

5. thanks guys!