Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taught myself to read notation on the spot!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Mar 2, 2002.

1. My church is hosting the play L'il Abner, and the music director asked if I could play bass for it. It a lot of orchestra and jazz stuff, and I cant read standard notation at all. So I get the 60 page book, and really struggle through the first 2 songs. Then I got lucky and figured out what G was, and went from there, and did pretty good. I cant say I did great, but Im getting there. Now I have to learn about 35 songs before friday, althouhg I do have 3, 3 hour rehersals this week.

But hey, Im not gonna make a fool of myself!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    really? are you sure?

are you sure you don't want some tAbZ?

i gotz some l33t tAbZ rite hear if u wan.

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Geez,that is alot of songs to learn!Do you have to play all of them?I could never memorize all those songs.

GOOD LUCK!

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    That's the beauty of reading -- you don't HAVE to memorize all of the songs!

tallguy, stay at it -- you will be a better bassist for it. Welcome to the light!

5. I dont have to memorize *all* of them, cause some were scratched :p

Ill have the music in front of me when I play it, but I need to have a solid grasp of what is happening, which is hard, cause Ive only heard each song once, and it wont hear it until Tuesday.

6. Congratulations Tallguy, you've just reached a new level in your bassplaying career. If you can get thru this show, you'll be an in demand bassist, because there are very few of us can sightread. Word will spread that you're a reader, and before you know it you'll have other shows and big bands knocking on your door.