Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tax refund coming, buy a used wt300?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Yes, deal with any problems along the way

13 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No, get a new more reliable? Eden model

13 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. keep looking into other brands like thunderfunk or aguilar

14 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. Use your refund to pay down all those other bills.

38 vote(s)
    48.7%
  1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Got alot of tax bucks coming back and I had recently tried out my coworkers 1994 wt300 and LOVED IT. only one problem. It cut out ONCE in ten times of playing it. not sure if it overheated, couldn't get it to do it again, I even tried for 45 mins to overheat it. He wants $400 for it. it looks very clean too! also wondering if I should go bigger Eden like 400 or 550, but I like the 15Lbs of the 300.

This head would be for my "mid sized rig" eden wt300/aguilar gs112. should I do it? or get bigger newer eden like 400 or 550?

what would you do?

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I had one of these heads in mint condition and I sold it about a year ago. It is a great sounding head, but using just one cab you will be at around 150 watts at 8ohm. You will always wish you had a little more power with the unit. I would recommend something around 550 watts so when you are running one cab you have around 250-300 watts going to the single 12. Trust me... the extra power will make a big difference

3. BStringJerry

BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    Texas
    Mcrelly,

Just a suggestion!

Unless you plan to get rid of your Stewart 1.2, I would jump on that Eden WT300. When you need more power you can use the headphone jack as a Line Driver to your Stewart, using the Eden as a preamp (as stated in the manual).

I had an Eden Metro, but sold it because of the weight. I loved the sound though, so now I'm looking for another Eden. The smaller & lighter the better. I'll use my Crest CA6 with it when I need more power. I'm even thinking of getting rid of the Crest in favor of a Stewart 1.6 or a Peavey DPC 1400, although I don't know much about that Peavey.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    well, I cracked open the wt300 again today for a closer look at possible overheating issues. near a couple of diodes, I think, marked D13 and D14 (near the headphone side of the circuit board), I saw some browning of the green circuit board.

I was debating whether to just buy the and and have it looked at, or talk him down some more from $400. I feel like I've led him on too far and would feel guilty about not buying it. It runs great 90% of the time. I don't really want to spend much more money. If I have to I'll buy it, play it at home until I got some more money to pay someone to check it out properly.

I heard eden service takes a LONG time, so I might take it to some other instrument shop.

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    into 1 cab (at 8 ohms) i think its going to be more than 150 watts.

i play out with mine, into an 8ohm 115 hartke, and its very nice.

the weight / size is great, the tone is GREAT, and imo its a "loud" 300 watts (or whatever it runs at 8ohms). BY way of comparison it seems to have a lot more oomph at simliar sttings than one side of my hartke 5000 (250Winto 4ohm, 170ish into 8) . i was worried & concerned that i should hold out for a wt400, but now it isnt a thought. the 300 is plenty for its purpose. the 550 is obviously gutsier, but the weight and price are significantly more imo.

as far as the 400 price, mine was $370 shipped in very nice condition about 3 months ago off the bay. $400 mightbe a TAD steep, or i got a nice deal. dunno.

it cut out once, cause i mistakenly allowed it to short (my cord was the culprit.) Works like a charm before and after. i like that it protected itself in the face of a short.

i really really REALLY am very happy with this purchase. I'd do it again.

6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    get the 550

7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If you have any substantial bills (going off the post options) then pay them off first.

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I thought I should have left off the "pay bills" option...:meh: they're just suggestions right?

anyway, taking into account the cutting out of the wt300, I've decided AGAINST this particular unit and am looking for more powerful eden and/or gonna look into the thunderfunk 550 option as well.

I will always have bills, its not every day/week/month or year that I have a chance, OR THE MONEY, to buy a new shiney amp!! I will pay some of the most pressing bills, then to the amp...

I am fickle, but thats where I am today.:p

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Well in that case, by all means get the TFB 550. I have one and it makes me grin every time I gig. Wonderful amp...

PS: I also had some debt when I purchased my 'funk. Did I mention that I am a hypocrite?

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You would not regret getting the WT-550.

11. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i think you made the right choice in passing on that amp- nothing against that model, but the fact that "it works 90% of the time"... of course, i'm sure my boss says the same about me ;)

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but is the thunderfunk AS RICH and AS ROUND sounding as eden hybrids??? I love that sound!! as far as I understand, Yes?, yet punchier? is that a contradiction?

13. Wow...you actually get money back?

14. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Just got my WT-405 today! Lovin it!!!

15. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Ya, I paid back my checking reserve, bought 4 tires for my car, got a tune up, bought some movies, gonna buy a new bathroom sink, pay my brother some labor on my bathroom

AND

place an order for a WT550 next week!!!:hyper:

16. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

your getting back enough to do all that, then i suggest an entirely different aproach... for next year.

fill out a new w-4 to decrease your withholding. do this simply by upping the number of dependants you claim.

you are giving uncle sam an interest free loan that, based on the inanity of the tax code, i feel he doesnt deserve. The AMT will get you soon enough... dont give him a free loan on top of it.

just my 2 cents. well, 1.7 maybe. ;-)

17. BStringJerry

BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    Texas

+1,000,000

Take that money and put it in your own savings acct., then you can do all that plus next year.

My 2 cents also. But, what the hell do I know, I have to pay Uncle Sam, as always. At least he didn't get to work off my money for free!!!

18. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    no no no :smug: your not listening, if I had the money, I'D SPEND IT! so if I let my uncle hold onto it THEN I'd have something to spend every new year!!! :p

I don''t save very well:bawl:

19. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    then here is my last addition to this thread, so as to not belabor or lecture.

spend some time looking up / searching these 4 topics:

dave ramsey

the millionaire next door

roth IRA's

the power of compounded interest

best of luck on your amp choices... fun stuff!!!

20. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004