1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tax Return = Bass Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xray, Mar 17, 2010.

1. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    Now that the IRS has graciously given back my money that they've been borrowing for 12 months, or there abouts. I've decided to invest wisely - buy a nice tube amp.:D (Don't worry Matt I also bought three shares of Google stock).

To be honest, I really know nothing about tube amps except they are the staple you see on the rigs of touring professional. I really wanted to stay around $1,000, however, that doesn't seem to be enough to get what i want: Ampeg SVT Classic. I do have a G-B Shtl 9 I'll also try throwing in to get what I want, but from a cash only transaction what's the best I can get for $1,000? Cheers

2. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I got a gently used Fender Bassman 300 Pro (Sunn 300T) for $800. I highly recommend used! Save your self some cash.

3. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    Thanks - I totally forgot about searching the LA CLs ads - there are several out there for < $1,000, so I may be in business. Plus I have to get rid of my Shuttle.

4. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    Thanks to BassScum I'm the proud owner of a SVT Classic head and one of his SVT-15e cabinets. As soon as I posted here I saw a his add for both on the Classifieds. Wow!! I've had many SS minis, combos, pedals, etc trying to get this sound and nothing even comes close. I'm sorry VT owners (yes, I still own one but don't know what to do with it now), but you can not get this sound. This amp is everything I thought it would be and more. Unfortunately, the first thing I noticed is how terrible my cabinets sounded with it (not the SVT-15e). Now, to complete the transition I'm adding a SVT410HLF. I have to admit after spending $1000s on amps and pedals trying to get this sound I can't believe it was as simple as just acquiring one, duhhhhhh!!!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, it's that simple. however, i do still think the vt cops those tones...they just don't feel quite as good :bassist:

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020