1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tax season dilemma....Ampeg Micro CL or Peavey Nitrobass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BurningTheAltar, Feb 6, 2016.

1. I'm looking to purchase a smaller amp head with a 2x10 cab....I live in apartment building, so a 2x10 will be plenty.
    So far I've narrowed it down to either a Peavey Nitrobass head with a TVX 210 cab, or an Ampeg Micro CL mini stack. Obviously the Nitrobass has more wattage and options, and I know that you can't kill a Peavey, but does anyone have any experience with the Ampeg Micro CL? Both are roughly the same price (Peavy rig is used). I know Ampeg higher end stuff is top notch, but don't have much experience with their lower end stuff. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Are you planning to gig with it?
    Because the Micro CL is IME perfect to practice and rehearse with (in not too loud bands), but is a bit too quiet for gigging.
    I have no experience with the mentioned Peavey.

BurningTheAltar likes this.
  3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    The Nitro will get crazy loud with the right cabs, not so much with a single 210. If you never have to move it around, the Nitro would be a good choice - probably the heaviest solid state 300 watt @ 4Ω head you could possibly find, though.

BurningTheAltar likes this.
  4. Forgot to mention....I also run a Peavey TKO 115 and have an A/B/Y pedal...gonna run my distortion chain through the TKO 115 and my clean chain through my newer setup. I'm leaning toward the Nitrobass after doing some more research. For one, I can add a bigger cab down the road. For two, even though I live in an apartment building I can crank it while the neighbors are at work. I'm sure I could add a bigger cab to the Ampeg as well, but 100 watts seems a little more limiting.

I also just came across a Peavey Tour 450 head for close to the same price. Not sure how those do at lower volumes though....

5. At the moment I don't plan on gigging, just playing at home or jamming with friends on occasion.