Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taylor ABG vs Tacoma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FritzM, Apr 29, 2002.

1. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Does anyone have any experience with both of these ABG's? Is the Taylor really worth the money? I played a Taylor today and even though it sounded good amplified, it was rather difficult to play. The Tacoma seems a bit more comfortable. Is there anything I am missing? So, regardless of price (within reason), what ABG is the real deal?

thanks___fritz

2. air4me2

air4me2 Guest

Feb 19, 2002
    SoCal
    wow,, two unique looking ABGs! I haven't had the chance to play the Taylor,, but I have compared the Tacoma and a Martin side by side. the Tacoma was da vinner! It was a while ago so i dont remember the details,, but i do remember liking the sound of the tacoma better,, as well as the lower price.

Also I've played a couple of Carvin's thin bodied acoustic basses and was VERY impressed,, might want to try one of those,, after all its a 10 day money back guaruntee!

3. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Yea, I think the Tacoma blew away the Martin. The Taylor is great too, but the neck is so extended it would take some getting used to. I have a Godin A4, which sounds and plays great. I was just curious if there was anything better. The Taylor had flats on it and sounded pretty uprightish and the Tacoma had Elixer Acoustic bronze strings, which sounded great too. I was just curious of other peoples opinions.

fritz

4. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    I own a Guild B40 with a shallow body which sounds absolutely awesome. :cool:

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If I honestly thought I preferred the Taylor, I would have saved up for one. However, I found the Tacoma was just right for me!

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Sorry for not researching, but I'm lazy:

1. May I see pics of the Tacoma?
    2. What are approximate prices on it.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Tacoma more comfortable than the Taylor? :eek: That must be a monster! My Tacoma is HUGE and I would definitely not call it comfortable! :)

I have no experience with the Taylor but I love my Tacoma. A wonderful instrument.

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    There's less of a left-hand reach with the Tacoma. A Tacoma neck joins the body at the 15th fret, while the Tacoma and Martin join at the 17th. I suspect this contributes to why I prefer the feel of the Tacoma.

10. ...but the wedge-shaped body on the Taylor makes it feel somewhat less bulky than most big-bodied ABGs. (It really is a cool design...just wish it was louder!)

Mike