1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Taylor Hawkins and the Coattail Riders

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Mar 23, 2006.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Anyone checking this out? Chris Chaney from Alanis and Jane's on bass. Listening to the samples now and it's sounding pretty darn good.

2. He's on the cover of the latest Modern Drummer Magazine that I was just informed that I am in. I think that issue hits stands April 5th, but before that, I definitely want to check out his CD. I wonder how he would function in a more technical/prog.-eqsue setting? For instance, can he bash through 15/8 and then play "sensitive" with nuance, delicate cymbal-work in 7/8?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For his record sales' sake, I hope not!

4. Sometimes, I get to thinking that Andy Gill (Gang of Four founder/guitarist) was right when he said, "Music is too important to be left to musicians."

5. I wouldn't have used that phrase above, but on the first Alanis tour he was a much more "delicate", Peart/Portnoy technical drummer as opposed to the basher role he takes in the Foo Fighters. I have no doubt in his abilities to... "play those numbers". ;)

6. I suppose that was excessively bitchy of me, but I find it in rather poor taste to judge a drummer on his ability to handle odd meters. There are enough ways to slice 3/4, 4/4, and 6/8 to last several musical lifetimes, and I'm much more impressed by a guy who knows fifty ways to play in 4/4 than I am by someone who knows how to play five ways in ten time signatures. (I exaggerate, but you get the point.) If you can play fifty ways in ten time signatures, well, your name is obviously Tony Williams or Jack DeJohnette. :D

What in Alanis' catalog would be at all proggy? I could see the need for a high level of musicianship, but not necessarily "chops" playing.

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    He can play. Maybe not all that crazy time signature stuff, but he can play nevertheless.

I think this project is cool because it has Chris Chaney. Although, too, Taylor Hawkins does all the vocals on this and (don't quote me here) in addition to writing the drum pieces for the songs, might've even helped pen a tune or two from guitar.

8. I didn't mean to insinuate that Alanis had a "prog" section to her show (but it would be funny as all hell) but that her music is in a completely different genre that the FF, and that Hawkins played drums suitable for both situations. Thus my confidence that he can handle this upoming project. I think "a high level of musicianship" makes "chops playing" possible, but therefore illrevelvent. Like "if you have to ask how much it is..." :smug:

...it's interesting you bring this up, but since I first saw a live video for "You Learn" in the middle of my DT fandom and hatred of anything other ( :rollno: ) the first thing that came to mind was Taylor's playing: his usage of interesting high-hat work, off-time splashes, tom rolls/fills, and quick double-kick hits. In essence, much like Peart/Portnoy. I've kinda missed that side of his playing since becoming Grohl's Bonham. (said in the nicest possible way :) ) and will enjoy hopefully seeing it again.