1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TB’s Favourite Bassist (Poll)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Ray Brown

14 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Cliff Burton

10 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Geezer Butler

24 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Bootsy Collins

8 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. John Deacon

9 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. John Entwistle

34 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Flea

14 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. Larry Graham

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  9. Steve Harris

24 vote(s)
    4.9%
  10. James Jamerson

90 vote(s)
    18.2%
  11. John Paul Jones

55 vote(s)
    11.1%
  12. Lemmy Kilmister

7 vote(s)
    1.4%
  13. Geddy Lee

80 vote(s)
    16.2%
  14. Paul McCartney

34 vote(s)
    6.9%
  15. Jaco Pastorius

33 vote(s)
    6.7%
  16. Gene Simmons

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  17. Esperanza Spalding

10 vote(s)
    2.0%
  18. Chris Squire

22 vote(s)
    4.5%
  19. John Taylor

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  20. Victor Wooten

15 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. These various “best bassist” polls have me curious who TB’ers would vote as our most favoured bassist.

Please vote on who is your favourite, not who you think is the best, or most influential, or most skilled, etc.

I tried to pick a wide variety of bassists based on who I think would lead the top 20, but I missed dozens of other popular bassists (Bruce, Carter, Clarke, Claypool, etc, etc, etc)...

If I missed your favourite bassist, please post their name below.

If someone posted your favourite bassist, please still make your own post stating as such, or quote their post with a “+1” or “this” or whatever. Likes do not count as votes.

Also, you only get one vote, make it count.

I’ll keep a tally of the votes in the post below, and will update it periodically. Thanks for playing.

Edit to add (2018/07/07): This poll didn’t go the way I thought/hoped it would, but there were a lot of great bassists mentioned. In hindsight, Gene Simmons should have been replaced with “Other (Please Specify)” because despite what I wrote in the OP (and bolded), so many people felt restricted to those 20...

Really, the best way to do this, is to have everyone submit a bassist into a ballot where no names are mentioned previously, and the current votes aren’t up for display, have the poll run for two weeks and disclose the results at the end of it... I may try to set something like this up, but it won’t be for a while.

I still think that Jamerson would win, with Geddy and JPJ close behind, but I know if I allowed for people to vote for Pino or Miller (for example) in the poll, they would have gotten a lot more votes than they did.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. Current Vote Tally (including poll choices and posts)
    Time of sample: 2018/07/07 6:44

72 votes: James Jamerson

60 votes:
    Geddy Lee

45 votes:
    John Paul Jones

26 votes:
    Paul McCartney

23 votes:
    John Entwistle

22 votes:
    Steve Harris, Jaco Pastorius

18 votes:
    Geezer Butler

14 votes:
    Victor Wooten

12 votes:
    Ray Brown

11 votes:
    Chris Squire

10 votes:
    Flea

9 votes:
    Esperanza Spalding

8 votes:
    John Deacon, Pino Palladino

5 votes: Cliff Burton, Bootsy Collins, Larry Graham, John Taylor

4 votes:
    Lemmy Kilmister

3 votes:
    Jack Bruce, Duck Dunn, Anthony Jackson, Marcus Miller, Rocco Prestia

2 votes:
    Jack Casady, Justin Chancellor, Les Claypool, Abe Laboriel, Colin Moulding

1 vote:
    Kenny Aaronson, Oteil Burbridge, Alain Caron, Peter Cetera, Al Cisneros, Stanley Clarke, Tim Commerford, Glenn Cornick, Bob Daisley, Dennis Dunnaway, Nathan East, Hadrian Feraud, Larry Grenadier, Stu Hamm, Dusty Hill, Percy Jones, Carol Kaye, Jerry Jemmott, Percy Jones, Tony Levin, Phil Lynott, Michael Manring, Duff McKagen, John Myung, George Porter Jr, Chuck Rainey Joe Raposa, Kevin Rutmanis, Billy Sheehan, Gene Simmons, Nikki Sixx, Leland Sklar, Julie Slick, Sting, Neil Stubenhaus, Dougie Thomson, Bobby Vega, Sam Wilks, agary Williw, Doug Wimbish

Honourable Mentions: Ralphe Armstrong, Damien Bone, Baron Browne, Charlie Colin, Johnny Colt, Willie Dixon, Mariuzs Duda, Trevor Dunn, Bernard Edwards, Herbie Flowers, Tom Fowler, Kinga Glyk, Marco Hietala, Paul Jackson, Louis Johnson, Mick Karn, Ransom Knowling, Michael League, Phil Lesh, Ryan Martinie, Charles Mingus, Dee Murray, Jason Newstedt, Guy Nsangue, Gary Thaine, Bruce Thomas, Suzi Quattro, Norman Watt-Roy, Tal Wilkinfield

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    dab12ax7ef and wes stephenson like this.
  3. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    James Jamerson

Good poll. Can’t wait to see the results.

jamro217 and Matthew_84 like this.
  4. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    No carrots option? Invalid poll.

Michael Manring.

5. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    No Les Claypool?

6. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    No Fieldy?

7. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I would have trouble narrowing it down to 20, let alone 1.

8. Of the available choices James Jamerson was the winner by a mile. Interesting poll. You have a pretty wide selection of genres covered with such a small sampling of bassists.

9. I could only put in 20 options and I was trying to spread out genres and stuff a bit. I even included some people that would not be in my top 20, but figured they’d get a lot of votes from others.

Anyways, I’ll take these posts (and future ones like them) as a single vote for said bassist.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. Thanks. I tried to make a wide selection but was only limited to 20 options. I could have easily thought of 50, but had to be selective.

With that said, if you (or anyone else) doesn’t see your favourite in the poll, please type it in a post and I’ll count it as if it was in the poll.

jamro217 and TheMinutemen like this.
  11. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Oh please don’t! Fieldy is awful! I was being a wise a$$. :D

ghostinthemach, Edgar, eJake and 4 others like this.
  12. Lol, okay, thanks for letting me know. :thumbsup:

TheMinutemen likes this.
  13. Rocco Prestia.

12BitSlab, k31bassman, Edgar and 3 others like this.
  14. He was very close to being in the top 20. I had his name down, but he ultimately didn’t make the cut because I was trying to spread genres a bit.

I already have an excel sheet drafted to add these extra names and count their votes on. Tomorrow I’ll add them to it and update the 2nd post, but I’ll keep updating the count as people add new votes in the future.

jamro217 likes this.
  15. I know the voting just started (only 13 votes registered so far from the poll and posts combined) but Jamerson and Geddy have been neck-and-neck since the beginning.

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    It says my favorite, not "best," which would be near impossible from that list. I chose Geddy, because I just like him that much.

mikeyjm2 and Spidey2112 like this.
  17. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    No offense to Gene, and his fans, but I think you could take him out and put in Stu Hamm.

DaDo625, Edgar, diegom and 4 others like this.
  18. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    Thor the bassgod

I mean Hadrian feraud

Sam N, Doctor Intrepid and Matthew_84 like this.
  19. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I find it hard to believe Marcus Miller isn't in top 20 bass players, in any criteria.
    If we are talking about popularity, he could be in all-time top 5 easily.

EDIT: Also, where is Sting (Gordon Sumner)?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    dBChad, T-Funk, Charlzm and 4 others like this.
  20. Duck Dunn