Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TB Atlanta Get Together....WHAT A BLAST!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lneal, Mar 8, 2003.

1. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Just got home from the get together. Quite a time was had by all!! Sooooo many basses, soooooo much talent. It was great to see everyone again and to meet people I didn't see last time. All I can say is if you weren't there, you missed a great time!!

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Larry, would you agree that these were the 2 best basses there?
    I think we counted about 58 total?
    Anyone want to confirm that?
    [​IMG]

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :eek: :D

4. Hey JT, anyone ever tell you that you look like a more sober version of Bobcat Goldwaith (or however his name is spelled)?

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not until now :(. :D

6. [​IMG]

Is JT really an unfunny comedian in his spare time???

The plot thickens... ;)

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    damn you :mad: :D.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ve vant more piktures.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yo, biatch, col. clink is in the hiz-ouse. :D

10. So JT, A-B the Wish to one of your Conklins.

:D

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    here's a few pics, hopefully somebody snapped more as the night wore on. I was too obsessed to remember to keep shooting.

TB GTG pix

might take a while to load.

please sign the guestbook on my site, esp if you were at the GTG. Thanks!

PS, Gary - thanks for hosting! You've got a great place, we had a great time.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I had a great time, unfortunately, I couldn't make the gig. My sister is going to Haiti to do missionary work, so the only time she could braid my hair was late last night. Muggsy, thanks for hosting. It can truly be said that JT, Bassmonkee, and Gard are what I'd like to be as a bassist. Not flashy or fancy, but as solid as a brick wall! Also, last night did nothing for my GAS! I think I played the ONLY Ken Smith 6 that I'd buy in a heartbeat! Connie, I wanna see teaching riffs next time! It was a crapload of talent in that room last night. Stachio decided to deprive us of his playing! Next time you're giving a solo performance! It was great to see the usual suspects, and meeting the others for the first time. Brendan was noodling around, but I think I heard something that will help in my rock playing on the lowend. Thanks big guy!

Oh yeah, a shocking moment: I played Gard's EUB! :eek:

13. That was a good'un :)

First kudos go to Muggsy for opening his home to all of us. You were a great host. How do I know? You walked around all night with a grin and "Oh hell yeah" look all night. I can definitely relate. :D Let us know if the structural engineers find any problems with your walls and foundation - then send the bill to BassMonkee!

It was great to see some new faces - Tim, Connie, Brendan, SoComSurfing, Xush, NittO - you all have been initiated into the inner circle. Your new found knowledge will serve you well. Use it wisely. I know I'm forgetting someone but I can't remember who.

And to the usual line-up of show-offs, egos, ne'er-do-wells and posers (Hey I resemble that remark) it just wouldn't be the same without you. I genuinely look forward to seeing and hearing you cuz it humbles me to know I have so far to go. But to tell you the truth, it's easier and more fun to listen and be entertained than actually attaining those skills for myself. *sigh*

JT, I hope the gig went well. I apologize for not making it but after all the revelry and, considering my advancing age, It was all I could do to drive home. I'm not as young as I used to be and never was.

The Wishnevsky went over ...well...er...about as well as you would think. More on that later.

Thanx again for the great comeraderie. These GTG's are quite literally the only contact I have with musicians of this caliber and I enjoyed every minute. I hope everyone else did as well.

14. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I'm gonna get the pics I took to bassmonkee so we can get them posted.

15. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    JT's not too flashy...The eight string hyper bass with the 22 switches, coffee maker, and GPS was definitely subtle :D. Sorry I couldn't make the gig either, although I had the prized position of keyboard technician.
    I got to witness another Gard and Bassmonkee showdown...too cool. I think I left my sunburst Jazz with J-retro, Fralins, and pick up covers...do you think you could give that one back to me Bassmonkee ;) .
    Speaking of which, I think Soybase still has my Aggie rig...
    Nice to finally meet SoComSurfing, Brendan, Nitto, etc.
    Thanks to Xush for bringing the arsenal (sweet FBBs).

I didn't want you stealing all my chops again. We'll talk once I get your double thump down, and figure out what's so "easy" about it :D .

Finally much thanks to the man with the largest DVD, and widescreen TV collection (1 per room is it ?) : Muggsy.
    I had a blast. Probably the best collection of basses I've seen so far.

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    as i said in another thread, the wish "bass" was exactly what i would expect it to be. unfortunately no surprises. i'll give a more indepth review momentarily.

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey it was great that those of you who did make it to the gig were there, and those that missed it, well, we're playing the star bar on wednesday night, so come on out! :)

this was probably the most attended get together ever. there were definitely more basses there than at any other - over 60, iirc.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    JT: No mention of the 7 string fretless Wish order? :D
    I thought Warwicks had thick necks! That Wish really felt like a baseball bat.

Gael: That Roscoe is a KEEPER!
    Gard: I'm still thinking about that Smith 6.

19. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    The look on JT's face as he holds the Wish bass is classic. I don't think I'll need a review!:)

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, looks like a guy that is wearing a speedo thats to little for him, he's like "Uh,,right guys,,,like,,,um,,,here it is...." :D