Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TB Awards...

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Mike Flynn, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Hi guys,

I've only been posting since the start of this year, so I don’t know if you've considered or tried this before but would it be possible to do a <b>TB Awards</b> for bassists and bass gear? Or maybe just do an award per topic area i.e. 'Best Bass', Best Amp, Best Bassist - dividing each into different areas - like budget basses, mid-range basses - custom basses etc - budget amps - mid-range - high-end - I know this may cause a lot of debate among some members but it'd also be a nice way of acknowledging some of the real advances and innovations that have been made across the board in the wonderful world of bass, plus it would be completely democratic - would it be possible to make one form for each member to fill in - to avoid any obvious vote rigging...?

Just an idea - perhaps too impractical to implement fairly - if it is possible I think it would be a nice 'End Of Year Poll' kind of thing - the TB Christmas party!

Cheers

M

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    And the nobel prize for grossest hands: Matt Till.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think it's a good idea... plus my hands aren't that gross. Just painty.

4. Cool Matt - It would be fun and I think a good way to get TB up in the minds of all the luthiers, bass companies - amp companies and most importantly the bassists around the world that use the site - this would be people power at its best! Plus a nice way to close out TB's most successful year, what do you say guys?

Cheers

Mike

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't see a need. In fact, I'd stay far away from it. Deciding what is best for you is ultimately subjective. Deciding what is best for someone else is impossible. Sure, the awards may be decided through voting, but who will vote, who will not, have those who do tested all the gear that they can vote for, etc, etc. Also, personal interpretation and judgement of these subjective votes will not be possible, since it will all be reduced to dumb numbers - statistics. And you know what they say about statistics.

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, you can't decide who has the best equipment. YOU can decide what's best for YOU, but not for someone else.

7. but you can award someone for making the best bass for the majority of the people can't you? (i don't know...i am just making arguments)

btw when you say "award" do you mean like a trophy, or just a nice email saying that we like them?

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i say we have awards for the tb members
    coolest avatar, weirdest post, most rediculous question/suggestion. etc........... :D
    ok, probably not, but i'd laugh. :bag:

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Meh. i'd soooooo win those.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sure you can!

The whole "it's whats best for you" line is so old sometimes. There is a difference in quality of basses. Just because someone loves their $100 Squier doesn't mean it should be mentioned along with a Sadowsky or F-Bass. Quality wise, the Sad is clearly superior no matter how much someone loves their Squier. Same goes for amps. Walter Woods amps are clearly "better" than the stuff Behringer puts out.

-Mike