TB bass raffle?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Sep 18, 2005.

1. hello crew!

Has anyone ever thought about buying a bass and raffling it? we could do something like $10 a ticket for an SX bass or something (maybe a custom designed wish :) ), and give all the extra money to a charity?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It's a great idea, but these things can't just be done willy-nilly. Rules and deadlines have to be observed, and since TB members are spread all over the world, the work it would take to organize something like that could be huge.

BP mag had an issue where they were talking about why they exclude Quebec from their giveaways. Apparently, companies have to secure a bond in advance, print instructions in two languages and a whole lot of things. I would imagine TB would be subject to the same kind of scrutiny.

Instead of doing charity through TB, it might be better if folks just dealt with charities directly. That way, they'd have a better ide of where their money is going. Maybe the TB Lawyer folk can give a better explanation.

Good thread, but not really about a bass, is it?;)
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Twue. Moved.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Its a great idea, and one of the message boards I used to spend lots of time at (The Telecaster board TDPRI) used to do a yearly raffle...It actually got to the point where a lot of the dealers/luthiers/companies involved in the board would donate goods/service for raffle. the 'chances' were sold for something like 10 bucks per. The one I took part in had necks/bodies from USACG, amp kits from Weber, a 52ri Tele, pickups from a few makers all the way down to T-shirts. Instead of paying for 'membership' the yearly raffle would pay for the site.

Which brings me to my favorite charity, TB!

I'd of course be interested in other causes too, but it would be nice to give back to the site.
  5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Pretty much nailed it.

TB would need to comply with the various legislation relating to raffles, charitable fund raising etc in each jurisdiction in which it wanted to offer the raffle. That could be hundreds of pieces of legislation that need to be complied with.

Although, I understand Paul has done this with a bass give away to US residents only.
  6. so it appears i've been thoroughly shut down!
    game over!
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hmm, Mr. Esq.

I like the sound of that.:D
  8. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i would be willing to donate a peavey foundation bass for a raffle to raise money for the tb website. i think it is a great website and i've learned a lot from all the members. my musical tastes are as deep as a frisbee so how could i not learn something. if a moderator or someone wants to contact me feel free to. i know that the foundations are not the greatest basses in the world but dont knock 'em till you've played 'em. comes with a peavey hardshell case and i'll throw in some strings. let me know. :hyper: one thought is this. christmas or your respective holiday is just around the corner. this would be a great gift for a parent to give a kid who wants to learn to play bass and since it is a solidly good bass you really wouldnt have to upgrade for a while. just a thought!! :hyper:
    dave takis