1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TB Cat People! Help?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SundanceChile, Nov 14, 2006.

1. So here's the story. As of a few months ago, my grandmother "adopted" a stray cat(leaves food out for her). The cat has grown incredibly friendly around us, sticks around the house, keeps the mice away, etc.

Now for the dilemma. When we first brought her in, she was a skin and bones type. After a few weeks, she filled out. But now, it's gotten to the point of where we think she's actually gone preggers. Our family is no stranger to cats, there was a point where we actually had seven running amok(country/town home).

So now for the questions. Exactly what could we do to make her the most comfortable for when/if the kittens are to come around? Anyone had experience with such a situation? Thanks for any help you could provide!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

If you plan to keep them, just make sure she's got a quiet, twilight place to stay with food and comfy floor.
    From this place she must be able to see without being seen.
    An old blanket or pullover under a furniture is perfect. Then leave her alone.

If you want them to be eliminated, ask your vet for the procedure he prefers.

Then get her spayed as soon as possible. Cats are very fertile animals and there are way too many of them outside already.

3. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    just to spur debate... ABORTION!

haha i'm funny.

Seriously I'm allergic to cats, and hope every cat that isn't able to eat me dies a horrific death. I'm sorry.

4. She'll go where she feels safe... keep her inside if you haven't started to already.

If she's friendly and you can do it slowly and quietly... handle the kittens from a young age. It will help them bond to humans better as they grow.

5. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    +1 on all points... plus, if you haven't already, take her into the vet if you have any concerns. If she's reasonably healthy, though, you probably have nothing to worry about. Get her spayed afterwards though if you don't want to live in kitten city forever.

6. There are a lot of good web sites that have info about this. I don't remember which ones I consulted when one of the neighborhood cats got knocked up and was taken in by my neighbor.

I think the most important thing right now is to give her a place where she can have the kittens. You can't force them to use the spot you want but you can still have a box prepared with newspaper and towels (though, after the kittens are born, you may want to use something other than towels since the kittens will get their claws stuck).

Here are some pictures from the neighbor's litter:
    http://www.unpronounceable.com/images/cats/miss-t/

Dsc00787.jpg

All five of them survived and have good homes.

- Dave

7. Also should note that in many cases, not all the litter survives. This is natural and should not cause you too much concern. Sometimes the mother will abandon a kitten too.

Just nature.

8. Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

However at this rate, I wouldn't at all be surprised if she has the litter on top of one of our cars. :smug:

When the litter arrives, I'll be sure to post pictures. No pics, no cats right? :p

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    [​IMG]