1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TB Classified - Basses for Sale volume down?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaywa, Apr 23, 2009.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Is it just me or are there not as many basses coming on to the TB Classifieds as there used to be? Maybe people are hanging on to their stuff a little more? Possible sign of economic improvement? Or the opposite?

Anyone who's watched the classifieds for a long time, is this a seasonal thing that tends to go up and down?

2. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    maybe a little seasonal due to the tax season, but mostly economic downturn caused. People aren't buying the "toys" they once did with the extra cash they had. Lots of people saving their pennies not knowing what will happen in the next several months.

3. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    agreed, even during tax tine you would see posts reflecting 'refund' or 'gotta pay'... this year is just nobody has any money they want to part with.... a lot of good buys out there too!!

4. I seem to see plenty for sale, not so many getting sold.

5. It's the same way on the knife and gun forums. It's a buyers market right now for those that have the $$$$.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I have to admit, when all those 2009 price hikes hit on new models I thought traffic in the used market would just go through the roof. But really, not so much it seems.

7. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Well, buy something! :shamless self promotion here: You sure sound like you could use a Peavey 6. It just so happens I have one for sale...:ninja:

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Sorry, blueszilla. A StingRay HH 4 is on my hit list... and that's assuming I have any $$ left after I pay for my daughter's wedding!

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think that the price hike of several brands is causing many bassists to hang on to their spare basses. You never know when you will need one. Used prices may follow sooon after new prices. I will tell you that I'm waiting to see if used prices go up a little as a result of new prices. One example. A friend of mine has a bass he was trying to sell for $600. The price of a new one was about $1100 give or take a few months ago. Now it's around $1500. If you sell used ones based on a percentage of new, then the price of a used one has just gone up. So he took his bass off the market and is going to wait a few months and put it back out there and see if he can get a few hundred more for it. Makes perfect sense to me.

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I hear you on that, two fingers. Actually that's my concern... that used prices will start tracking upward with new, before I can snag the used one I want. I hope that doesn't happen, but I have been on the seller's side of the table too so I won't be surprised if it does.

11. mndean

mndean

Mar 20, 2009
    California
    Mostly, it's economic reality hitting. I see the same equipment showing up on CL over and over again.

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'd been thinking the last few weeks that 'for sale' traffic had been going steadily down. Of course, when you're looking to buy and have money to spend there's never enough options out there.

13. I've just noticed that the same basses seem to be in the classifieds for longer periods of time. Things aren't selling like they used to. The days of listing a bass and it being sold in a matter of minutes is slowly going away.

14. I noticed my P ad has 2100 views. It may be moving soon, though. Patience, grasshopper...

15. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City

Congratulations!

I'm in touch with that emotion, my son is getting married at the end of May, his fiance's family is of modest means. They are taking on most of the burden, but I'm on the hook to do what I can. I may need to sell other stuff too.

16. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    However, I've also noticed a trend of people putting basses up for sale without pictures of the bass, or a promise of pictures 'later' which seem to never happen, or worse yet putting a bass up for sale here and just pointing people to the old listing where they bought it from which often has dead image links.

Honestly, if the person doesn't want to sell it bad enough to #1 - take pictures of the bass they want to sell, #2 - sell it bad enough to check back and remember to put up pictures they promised, or #3 - doesn't even care enough to list info or check for active photo's in an old listing... then personally I'm questioning whether I'm comfortable buying something from that person.

There's been a couple where someone promises pictures then doesn't, then after a couple weeks of people asking simply posts a link to the old for sale thread which has :: gasp :: dead photo links.

:: sigh :: Hopefully these same people aren't trying to sell houses or other things in the same manner.

17. well for me buying wasnt to bad, I hope my trib 2500 gets here soon. but trying to sell a couple cabs locally I have no bites so far. :( Whats kind of funny to me I have more money to spend on bass stuff now that I did when I was working this makes no sense to me. But I am enjoying being able to buy the stuff I want now and no GF tax helps alot.

18. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Most people I've seen around here aren't selling basses for bread and milk for their kids. They're selling to finance new bass gear.

If you're netting less money out of a sale then unless you're getting something equally discounted - which if you're buying new, you're not - you might just be keeping your gear a little longer.

19. MTMTEX

MTMTEX

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    A TL-6?

20. Still I can see more trades happening over sales
    My last two dealings in the classifieds have been trades
    otherwise I dont really have the funds for anything new really
    the last "new" bass I bought was an SX