Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TB/DB Meeting

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Met resident Tber and New Standard fan Todd Murphy (The Jazz Lawyer) at the camps this week, and have to say what a pleasure it has been so far meeting folks from the board. We had a nice long chat about all things bass related, and some more specific stuff about Patitucci, whose playing we both admire. :bag: Anyway, I don't have too much to add, but wanted to find out other members' reactions to meeting "internet acquaintences" in real life. So far, I'm batting a thousand. How about you guys?

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Well yeah, exactly, what I wanted to say among other things in the Madison thread. One TBer came into town and I went to places. So far all the TB/DB guys I've met have been pretty civilized and well mannered, willing to spend some of their time talking more bass and stuff. The net is allright to beat distance and time constrains, but when possible, real life encounters are cool. Maybe local chapters should get together, establish secret handshakes and stuff like that...

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've met Howard K before in real life - but we will meet up in July at "Jazz Camp" - or rather Jazz SummerSchool at the University of Glamorgan in Wales!! ;)

This is always a big social thing and lots of time is spent at the Student Union bar over a few(!) drinks, chatting to fellow musicians - and there are about 20 or so bass players - new and people I've met before.

A lot of us Brits have met up - but I've also met Adam "Thrash Jazz from Canada ...

All the DB players I've met have been nice people - easy to talk to. In fact the guy at my local Jazz club who books bands, say that he notices how bass players are usually easier to deal with, as leaders, than say - sax players!! ;)

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Lessee, so far
    DONO
    Bill Lance
    JefeJEFF
    Olivier
    Ray Parker
    and I have heard Bob Sabin and Mike McGuirk play, but haven't had the pleasure of a sit down conversation.

Not a bad apple in the bunch.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    just the Hoarder of Expensive Basses...haven't had the pleasure of meeting anyone else.

Tho if anyone asked I could be in NYC in 1.5 hours to see a gig....hint, hint.

6. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Most of the TBers that I've met are guys I knew beforehand, and the rest I caught up with at the last ISB in Richmond. As far as I'm concerned there ain't no better bunch.

Communities like this are hard to find, both on the web and in the real world.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I coulda made a noon gig had I getten up earlier :) There's a great hang at Sophia's tonight (46th between 7th/Broadway and 8th). Mike Kaanan, Chris Higgins and I forget who the drummer is. Stop by and we'll have another TB experience.

Let's see (and I hope to Christ I don't forget anyone):
    Fuqua
    Don O
    Fred Weidenhammer
    Mike da Mook
    Olivier
    Mike Savino
    Marco Panascia (JazzBass72)
    Had Chris Fitz's preamp for a little while via snail-mail.
    Monte

Did I miss anyone?

Anyhow -- all great guys. Except ED!
    (kidding)

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Bastid! Arco great swinging idea playing bastid!

Anyway, Mike Petrosino on drums, who I haven't heard. Actually I haven't heard Chris either, I just know he's on a bunch of FRESH SOUND stuff. Mike is nice, very enjoyable.

I forgot Nick Ara of all people. We had a nice conversation on break at a Sushi Taro gig, a real nice cat.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I still my find myself busting up over Olivier's "Belt 'n Suspenders Band" comment at inappropriate times.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My best friend and her boyfriend just moved to Brooklyn, so now I have a place to stay, and will visit New York soon.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Well, alright. What neighborhood, do ya know?

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Nah, not yet. I'm gonna talk to them in a week or so. She just moved last week, and they're camping before moving in.

13. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I'm now with a free jazz trio, it's bare bones...

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm hoping that this is a skeletal reference?

15. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    depends: free form and no swing.

16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Thank you ladies and gentlemen, he'll be here through Friday. Please try the veal.

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Borscht belt comedian tag line.

19. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Ah. Being from the Rust/Corn belt it went right by, whooshing.