Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TB DB Sampler Online -- Newer Better More-Er

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Wow! Brother Damon has revamped his TB/DB Sampler Site again. It looks really right, folks.

As an extra bonus, there are three new pieces featuring Mr. Ed Fuqua on double-bass.

CHECK IT OUT!

THANK-YOU, DAMON!

http://www.talkingblues.net/talkinbass.html

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I just listened to 'em and they all sound really nice too.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  4. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Fixed the bad URL problem -- a bad old space where there shouldn't be one.

As for the slooowww thang, you've got me stumped. I'm not sure I still have Jon's original mp3 to check exactly what was submitted. I re-processed his file, changing the bit rate down to 128 to save a couple of megabytes per track. So I can't say I didn't touch the track, but I'm surprised to hear about the slowed down problem. Does the track sound slow to you, Jon?

The thing that freaks me a bit is that I was playing with the slowdown feature in Windows Media Player (did you know version 9 can do that?). That was after working on Jon's files -- it's not logical for a connection to be there but the mind is not exactly logical...

5. Damon, apparently the problem is at my end. The track would not play properly in my usual mp3 player (Plextor MPV2000), but it plays fine if I use the Micro$oft Windows Media Player. You figure. Great track Jon!

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I could post a recording of FOOTPRINTS where I step on my Johnson, big time. We should have a bloopers reel, just to kep perspective.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    ALL of my submissions have been bloopers reels in one way or another as far as I'm concerned...

Waiting to get to the DSL computer to listen to the new cuts on the site.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Jon - sounds wonderful. I almost get the idea you don't miss the slab at all. :D Keep it up, you've got me looking over my shoulder already. No plans to move to Louisville anytime soon, I hope?

Ed - Just listened to "Pin The Tail on the Bitter Bassist", and it sounds VERY nice. I love music with a sense of humor. Great loose groove.

9. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Ehh, I just sent some stuff to Damon that will fill that role quite nicely. Especially my arco :rolleyes:

Did a trio demo with some older cats. Under the clock, or I would have liked a run at some solos again, but it wasn't my session.

The point was so people could hear my new bass!!

I'm a big boy though, so there is no need to be gentle, so give me your opinions when it is up.

Nice stuff, Jon. You've come a long way since Lynn's camp. Can't wait to get home and hear it on some better speakers.

Monte

10. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Monte stepped up to the plate and he's banged out a triple: three new tracks with a piano trio.

Another thing: it would be good to keep the original Johnson Chronicles spirit going and do the criticism / feedback thing. What do folks think of allowing some form of anonymous feedback? I actually am involved in stuff like that in my bill-paying (i.e., non-musical) work and I think you'll find I can be trusted to be discreet and won't screw it up. I know from work that sometimes anonymity can really help people with the task of being honest. It literally makes the work easier and therefore more likely to get done.

Heck, it even would be easy to turn the page into a form where people could quickly send feedback to an artist (yes, we do use that word around here.) It would be a little programming challenge to figure out a cool way to do it, thus helping me out with a little programming development....

Lemme know your thoughts. The development angle to this project is one that really interests me.

11. Sam Sherry

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    While constructive criticism from any source has enormous value, I think it means even more when it has a name on it. (If Paul Warburton says, 'Lie down and play sideways' I'm going to do it and ask questions later!)

As for public critique, my intial reaction is that it's already available here.

Private critique of new postings has been ongoing. Perhaps Damon's site already IS the new Johnson?

I agree with you and Chris that there TB/DB may offer no more valuable function than this. What a bunch, and what a world!

12. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Absolutely. In my experience a great many feedback-givers will supply their name even if things are conducted under the guise of anonymity. It's a good thing, a sign of healthy confidence and maturity.

I just wanna see this feedback stuff going on, however it works. I'll hang for a while and see if any opinion shapes up here, and whether I feel like doing any web programming. These days I almost always would rather play than program, so don't bet on anything too ambitious happening on the site.

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    OK, I don't know how much trouble or bandwidth or problematic this would be BUT how bout this -

Could each contributor have a "guest book" that could have comments/reviews posted to? That way you can click on it if you want to check it out before listening, after listening. Yo wouldn't have to scroll through 800 posts of cats telling me "You suck" before you get to what you really want to read etc etc.

But like I said, I don't know if that's too much work.

14. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Yeah, I'm thinking similar thoughts. You could do stuff privately via e-mail (from the page, kinda like TalkBass), or you could do it publicly -- could leave it up to the contributor (er... artist.)

As for whether this gets done, like I said, just depends on whether it gets my attention 'twixt competing interests. It's very do-able and it's not expensive, so there are two big things going for it...

15. There's this thing I do...it's kinda a tradition around here. (Denver, that is.) After a REALLY good night, after the last set (I don't ABUSE this either) before packing up, I SLAP the bass and sing "Go Tell Aunt Rody" ( the old gray goose is dead)
    Eric Gunnison, Nat Yarbrough and I were hired to back this "Jazz Singer" on her CD. After the session was over, as tradition dictates, I slapped the Bohmann and sang that tune....You guessed it. The tape was running and this chick ACTUALLY put this on the CD!!!
    Damon....Whadya think? Can I post it? HUH? It's only a couple minutes long?? :hyper:

Hey Sam....Lie down and play sideways.

16. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
  17. Sam Sherry

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Damn, I'm sounding better already. That PW . . . he KNOWS . . .

18. Cross-pollination of jazz and rockabilly. Hey, maybe if you stood on your... uh, never mind...

A bit off topic here maybe, but Bob, love your Mood Indigo track. I gotta ask, how do you articulate the double stops with your right hand, one/ two fingers, thumb strum?

Hafta get me some better computer speakers.

19. Thanks Eric. I used the thumb on the E string and the 2nd finger on the G string squezzing inward and pulling the strings upward away from the fingerboard. It's easier to do than to describe.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That would be the best option, but that's a helluva lot of work for Damon. Of course, if he wants to do it....

I was thinking of a kind of "Newbie Links" kind of format, where each player could have his (her) own thread containing links to the songs in question. In the links thread, all participating players would have alink to the thread in their name. That way, the player's threads wouldn't have to be "sticky" or locked, but could just float depending on how much or how recent discussion there was; but the links thread would be a sticky so that you could always easily find a player's thread. If people are into it, I could set it up in a couple of weeks and save DEMON a lot of trouble.