Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TB EQ guide!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alex, Jan 15, 2006.

1. I have a 9 band EQ on my B2R, but in the 2 years I've owned it, I've never touched the EQ. The frquencies are:

40Hz
    80Hz
    150Hz
    300Hz
    600Hz
    900Hz

I think that we should make a TB EQ guide, with general characteristics of boosting and cutting each frequency range, not just my 9 band EQ. I think that many people aren't getting full tone shaping out of their amps because they are baffled by EQ.

I searcged TB and found nothing, and googling around found nothing too useful either. Hope this hasn't been done before?

~Alex

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    150Hz = kick drum like punch

(200Hz = grindy jaco like lower mid punch)

300Hz = usually most boomy resonating freq, tho it totally depends on the room.

900Hz, 2kHz = bad string noise

5kHz = great upper clack attack for slap

dont be afraid to crank the knobs, and these suggestions, of course, vary wildly from gig, to bass, to cab, to player...

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  4. Nice, that's what I'm looking for!

5. That thread didn't help much after a scan. I was looking for more specifics like Joker gave

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    funny, alot of what i suggested was in the FAQ. *shrug*

7. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    One inaccuracy in the old post: low fundamentals are listed 60 to 120 Hz, when the fundamental for the B string is around 31 Hz, and 26 if you tune down to low A. The E string is in the neighborhood of 50 Hz as well. I've noticed that the fundamentals die down in about 2 or 3 seconds, and then the sustaining tone is the second harmonic which is in that upper range.

I usually cut extreme lows live (40 - 80 Hz).

Sometimes I boost around 100 - 160 live for punch.

I usually keep mids pretty flat (250 - 800 Hz).

I found that 1.6 KHz is a good, universal attack point for slapping, and 3.2 KHz is a good universal attack point for popping.