1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TB for iPhone/PDA/Mobile

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by NJL, Mar 24, 2009.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Paul,

At another forum using vBulletin (Version 3.6.10), they have the same adjustable "Quick Style Chooser" at the bottom left at each page. In the other forum, they have a choice called "iPhone Friendly".. It actually fits up really nice on the iPhone/Touch and I assume the same for other PDA type phones..

Does your current version of vBulletin (.8) offer the same "style" option?

Thanks,
    Carlos

here's a link, just go to the bottom left and switch it to "iPhone":

http://forums.macrumors.com/

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. lemme pass this on to paul. i'm guessing he's overlooked it.

or it might just be you. :bag::hyper:

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    probably the latter :D :p

4. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    I don't have an iPhone so I can't really test this out, but VBulletin does have a 'pda friendly' method of viewing the forum... Scroll down to the footer, and click the "archive" link. Then hit the "PDA" link near the top. This will give you an identical text-only version of TalkBass. But you still need to view the full version to post replies...

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have used that and it doesn't work well at all due the fact that there's no "new posts" link and you have to go to the real site to post. the one that i linked above works quite well and gives the full functioning site along with the "new posts" link and the ability to go to the "next page" is in a bigger font, making it easier use the stylus or touch (depending on model of mobile device).. it also formats quite well on a mobile device such as the iphone, ipod touch, palm treo, etc..

is the version i mentioned available via your current version of vBulletin?

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bump

7. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    The site you've mentioned coded their own in-house template for iphone use - there is no official VBulletin sytle for iphone friendliness. I'll look into it making something similar, but it'll be easier when I get an iPhone to actually test it.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Okie dokes! Let me know if there is anything I can do.. Although I use it, along with my iPhone, I have an iPod Touch I could probably send up IH35..

As well, a few of us are on that other site... I could always ask nicely to see if they could help out with their specs? Doesn't hurt to ask, I suppose..

9. I agree with Carlos, scary as that may be. I have a BlackBerry, and occasionally hit up the site on there, many times at work, when taking care of very important business in that little white stall. It's awkward trying to view this full site on a BB, iPhone, etc., however.

I'd love a phone-friendly version of TB, and I'd be willing to pay a little more to get it, if that's what it took.

Thanks, Paul! :)

10. boing

boing

Feb 15, 2004
    WNC, USA
    Bump for any news on this? I'm surprised there's no mobile option built into the vB software. Maybe in the next version?

What we need is a renegade bass-playing developer to build a jailbreak app, and sell it through TB, with proceeds going to the forum. :ninja:

It would so help my sanity to buy a Berg cab on my lunch break...

11. sterob

sterob

Aug 24, 2009
    Amazing how now websites and forums need to optimized for viewing not only for the increasingly high numbers of browsers but for mobile/cell phones aswell. Personally I wouldn't feel the need to post from my phone....That must be really important if I were to do that :p

12. Not important, just fun. What better way to waste time sitting on the pooper???

13. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have a Motorola Q9H with the opera browser. I wonder if theres anything designed for that?

14. Friendy bump...

15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I would also like to have an Iphone friendly talkbass. It would be amazing!

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah there are other sites that are iphone friendly using the same forum software.. macrumors is an example.

17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    One thing I always found really funny...

The dell web site can be seen on an Iphone, but not apple.com!

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    LOL yeah, yet another apple fail!! that's why i'm not a fanboi..

you would think they would have an app for the genius bar to.. to schedule appointments and stuff. faily faily fail

19. Frettage

Frettage

May 30, 2009
    Louisville, CO
    Here's another vote for an iPhone friendly version. I spend far more time surfing the web on my iPhone than on my actual laptop. I just did a cursory search and it looks like there are a number of iPhone skins available for vBulletin now. If only vBulletin could automatically use a skin depending on the browser type.

20. dariuskawelolani

dariuskawelolani

Apr 22, 2009
    For Android users too!