Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TB Jazz

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by XavierG, Feb 25, 2004.

1. I've been interested in puting together and printing a couple of hundred copies of a (quality) TB Jazz CD for some time now. How many of you have recorded material (one or two tunes) that could be included in such a CD? All forms of jazz would be acceptable.

(This is just a "feeler" thread. I'd like to see what, if any, sort of interest there may be in doing something like this)..

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    An interesting notion.

What do you plan to do with it?
    Are you looking for originals only?
    If not, who will pay for copyright clearance?

3. Peter Dalla

Peter Dalla

Feb 2, 2004
    IS this somehow different from the TalkBass DoubleBass CDs (referred to as the Johnson Chronicles)?

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Good question. Anybody know the answers?

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What's up with the Limited Usage Agreement that they're using on the SAMPLER and could that work for Xavier the Saviour's project?

Naw, it just covers usage by performer to TB. Question of mechanicla rights clearance never is broached. What was the deal with teh TB/DB? Is that cause it's not being sold?

6. Just so y'all know, I haven't abandoned this idea, and am considering various options/scenarios before I post a follow up. As stated, the main purpose in posting this thread was/is to garner some ideas and get some feedback before tackling the nitty gritty issues and formulating a viable plan of attack. Unlike the TB CD currently in the works, it IS my intention to produce a "All-Jazz" CD that will be commercially available, if only in limited quantities thru limited outlets - I'll defer marketing strategy to any one (or more) of you who may have more expertise in that area. Logistically, I think this project is feasible, however, I understand the need to tackle the legalities. Limiting material to originals is not, in my view, realistic. How to tackle the issue of license and copyright is something I am looking into, but I don't want to put too much effort into this if I don't sense that there is support for it. Any ideas from the group will be welcome.

There is a collective talent within these forums which I, for one, would love to see immortalized on disc.

(Welcome back, Ed.)

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Treena Foster mentioned in the CD sampler threads that getting a limited use license for cover material was very easy and inexpensive.

Edit: Tombowlus did the Legal Mambo for us. I presume he
    could help you navigate that snake-pit as well.

Additional Edit: I went and looked at the site, they license
    500-2500 copies at songfile.com. They do not accept under 500 copies. A license for 500-2500 copies is $42.50 for the
    song I was interested in, plus a $10 service fee.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If the legal/monetary issues work out, I have a couple of items from the Harry Pickens Trio recording I'd like to submit.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    And yet I don't....

10. And I have a recording of CHRIS FITZGERALD playing a piano solo of a tune I wrote.