Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TB metallurgists - need your input

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 30, 2005.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I know there are probably tons of metallurgists here on TB, seeing as it's so popular with the kids and all. Well here's a question for you.

I just bought a new wedding band to replace the one I lost. It's silver with a band of gold running around the center. It's from James Avery Jewelers and I think it's quality silver but this morning I woke up and my finger was green from (i guess) oxidation and the silver on the inside around the edge had oxidated. I've worn silver from this jeweler in the past without this problem. Does anyone know why it would be happening now? Is it possible that there was some reaction involving the bronze strings of the acoustic guitar I was playing before bed?

Or can your sweat be more alkaline at times from certain foods eaten or something? I just dont' understand why this is happening now and it's never happened in the before when I've worn silver jewelry. It's been a while but when I was in high school I had some that I wore regularly.

brad cook

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Maybe you have a fungus.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    "Will silver turn my skin green?
    If you have a natural high acidity level in your skin, it is possible for your finger may "turn green". That does not mean that there is a fault with the silver or the manufacture of the silver jewelry. The green is actually caused by oxidisation, and all silver will oxidise. The oxidisation produced is also what gives silver a tarnished look. For people with a higher acidity level, it can stain the finger, giving a dark "green" look." ---Some jeweler's FAQ page.

Brad, you must be very acidic right now. Try baking soda?

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Sounds right, but the term oxidisation is very unusual. Typically one would just say oxidation, oxidized, etc. That's probably from a British site.

Silver is not a highly reactive metal, but it is not inert either.

IE: Ag + HNO3 yields Ag ions + NO2 or other nitrogen species. Gold is also not very reactive, but it too will react with some acids (solution of nitric acid and hydrochloric acid), other metals (mercury), etc.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I realize that oxidation can occur and whatnot but what I'm asking is two things:

1. Is it possible this somehow reacted with the phosphour bronze strings of my acoustic guitar.

or

2. Could my sweat/skin have some kind of temporary acidic properties due to diet or something?

I'm just kind of puzzled because I've never had my skin do that before when coming into contact with silver.

brad cook

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No metallurgists, huh? How about alchemists? Any alchemists here?

Druids?

Centaurs?

Anyone?

brad cook

7. A higher than average copper content in the silver *could* react with a high acidity / pH level in your skin.

I've had the same thing happen Brad. My skin is extremely sensitive, but I also have low acidity (weird)...and I STILL reacted badly with a silver ring... I've had lesser reactions with below 14K gold too...as precaution I only wear titanium & stainless steel.

I'm no metallurgist at all, this is just what was explained to me by my dermatologist (tho I wonder if he's a metallurgist). I doubt if the acoustic strings had any ill effect.

Have there been any changes in your diet lately that could boost your acid level to alkaline level? More fruits? Switching juices? etc?

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    How much did it cost?

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    How's that relevant?!

brad cook

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Did it come in a cracker?

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    So in a nutshell, Brad has a mouldy ring. I wonder if you can get creme for that?

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Do brits understand this question?

brad cook

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I did have some cream, but I used it all on the nutshell.

brad cook

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    [​IMG]

Christmas Cracker - home of plastic jewellery and party hats worn on christmas day :)

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Germoloids save us!!!

[​IMG]