Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TB Overload

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassyBill, Jun 16, 2005.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Does anyone else ever get like this? Much as I love TB, and find it genuinely interesting/helpful/amusing/informative etc etc etc most of the time, every now and again I just get this black despair descend on me whilst browsing the forums. I just feel myself losing the will to live, the endless repeated threads about the same topics (Sadowsky... blah, blah... best strings for fretless... blah, blah... wiring help on J bass... 410 or 212+115... blah, blah.... Fieldy... blah, blah... help me choose a new pickguard....) seem to suck away my ability to face another post, and I start the proverbial wailing and gnashing of teeth... please... help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..... :bawl:

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing the matter with any of the topics I mentioned, and I'm as guilty as most of retreading old ground (as a quick run through my posting history will confirm). I'd just like to know that I'm not the only one who gets gripped by threadphobia every now and again.

Right. That's it. I'm going to play my bass now. :bag:

...see you all tomorrow? :meh:

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    So just read the threads that interest you. That's what I do, and I don't post a whole lot as a result.

3. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004

+1 !!!!

Now I'm going off to kill myself.
    Well maybe not yet, I need to browse the threads first. :bawl:

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Bassybill,
    You joined in March of '05....just think about those of us who have been around for 4 or 5 years or longer!!! :eek: :D I am able to empathize with you, but to cure what you feel is the stagnation/repitition on the boards, try thinking about what really interests you about bass playing, bassists, questions you've always wondered about, etc. Start your own threads in an attempt to make things more interesting for yourself AND to combat the threads that are just retreads from last year...which were repeats from 2 years before that! :D
    If that doesn't work, just stick with threads started by NONSQTR...he seems to start some of the more interesting threads in the "Off Topic" forum. :)

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that and antidepressants make up my formula! :hyper:

:D

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Hahahahahaha!

I am going through this right now. If I see another post about "help me plug my bass into the computer/Dream Theater sucks/how many ohms in a flux capacitor/how will my cab sound with the new behringer head/what kind of recording setup should I buy" I swear I'm gonna pick up a guitar.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That's the trouble, they all interest me. And then I end up going round and round....

I have started my own thread! Please don't take anything I said above as being serious. I actually like TB a lot... just wish people would use the search function a bit more.

Anyway, to start something of interest to me as you suggest - what do you all think of the late great Bernard Edwards? Doesn't seem to get mentioned much round here.

BTW, the way it is now "tomorrow" over here in the UK, so I haven't compromised my original post. Well, not that much.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Just be the resident turd... makes life much more interesting around here.

9. I can vouch for that! Ive already had a mod put me on ignore! :D

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    HA! Bernard Edwards just came up on a post I made on another fourm this week in regard to John Taylor and the bass lines of Duran Duran!!! :p I'll send you a PM about it.

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yeah, I just go away for awhile. I have to do that at every forum. Sometime you just have to leave for awhile.

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    If I get to the point all the threads just appear like a rehash of last week/month/years threads then I know its time to get off the net and start practicing more. It really shouldn't get boring IMO unless you are just spending way too much time on here.

13. Trust me, reading these repeat threads a million times is better than reading a million posts on how Les Pauls are the best guitars ever made and serve any form of music and you aren't a true guitarist if you don't have one.

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    lol dude! I wish JMF would let me be a resident old turd . . . but they're all prog nazis.

*runs and hides*