TB Reading list

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BigWig Will, Jan 24, 2003.

1. What're all you bookworms readin' right now?

I just got done reading "The Tenacity of the Cockaroach" a collection of interviews by the Onion A.V. Club. Some really cool interviews, Gene Simmons, Merle Haggard, Ron Jeremy, The Unknown Comic, John Waters. I highly reccommend it.

Right now I'm in the middle of "Beneath The Underdog" Charles Mingus' autobio. It's a really good book, funny and entertaining and reads like his music sounds, I think.

After I'm done with that, I'm gonna start on my new Terry Pratchett book (Discworld is AWESOME!) And maybe Kafka's Castle!

What about you guys?
  2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I just finished "Deep in a Dream", a biography of Chet Baker. Finely written, but if you're looking to be inspired by what you read about the jazz masters, then pass this one by. Basically, Baker was a very talented but insecure junkie most of his adult life, and the fact that he died from a fall (or jump or push) from an Amsterdam hotel window was damn near a miracle considering all the junk he shot into his veins nonstop for thirty five years.

3. I'm halfway through James Joyce's Dubliners, which is a collection of short stories. I'm not really getting into it though:( . I'm also reading a book on the Great Depression of 1929, which is very interesting. I don't have it with me so I can't say who it's by though.

The last really good book I read was The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. Oh man, it was so sad, and heavy, and well written.

I want to read some of the jazz great's biographies, like many people here do, but I've no idea where to start - any suggestions?
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    In the past couple weeks I've read:
    John Case: The First Horseman
    R.A. Salvatore: The Icewind Dale Trilogy
    Philip Hose Farmer: first three Riverworld Books
    Neal Stephenson: Zodiac
    Emily Bronte: Wuthering Heights (for school)
    Cervantes: Don Quixote
    Stephen King: The Regulators (sucked)
    Jonathan Letham: Motherless Brooklyn
    Will Baer: Penny Dreadful (for a second time)
    A lot of ghraphic novels. A lot.
    Bruce Campbell: If Chins Could Kill

there are a lot more, I think another 6 or so, but I can't remember off the top of my head.
  5. For school right now, I'm working on Balzac's Père Goriot. On my own, I'm feebly attempting to tackle War and Peace.
  6. Ramones - "Hey Ho, Lets Go"

A biography on the band from beginning to end...

Learned a lot... Did you know DeeDee used to be a male hooker? (53rd & 3rd street - deedee was there ! :eek: )

Johnny used to work for a construction company, and DeeDee was also a hairdresser, at breaks they used to sit on the buildings, sniff glue and throw TV's at people.. lol !

Favouirte quotes so far- "The 3 best things in life are taking a dump, having sex, and being on stage" - Joey

and, "Joey, lets go buy some strings" - as Joey picks up his 1-stringed guitar, "nah, it works, doesnt it? its fine."
  7. wow! how can you find time to read all those books, brendan?

as much as I love to read, I never have the time.

I'm currently working on LOTR: FOTR, and I have to start reading Brave New World and an icelandic book for school.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    At the moment:

<b>Games People Play</b> by Eric Berne [Psychology]
  9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    SSN -Tom Clancy

It is a great book. If you like war-fiction, this is awesome. As usual with Tom Clancy, the facts and specs of everything is incredibly accurate. A really good read.

10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Brave New World is really good. Like 1984, but from a different viewpoint.

And I find the time to read by not practicing bass enough, and reading fast/well.
  11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, i've read that BNW is the anti-1984 (or well it's backwards: huxley was one of orwell's professors!). New World is a vision of the direction America and England may be headed, whereas 84 was a prediction of Russia...mostly.

Huxley's dystopia was created by public political apathy and concern only for superficial fulfillment and so the totalitarian government kinda slipped under the people's radar. The government exploited the people. On the other hand, Orwell's dystopia was authoritarian from the get go; the government crushed the people.

(so far, i've only read 1984. i read a summary and analysis of Brave New World on sparknotes.com, and i'll get around to reading it soon.)

too bad i'm a damn slow reader.

i've received a number of books for christmas, and so far, i've only completed one: kevin murphy's (aka tom servo) A Year at the Movies. As you may tell, i liked it.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...Close enough. It's not exactically right, but you got the idea. Orwell was more concerned that the government would erase a person if it was blindly followed. Huxley was of the mind that we'll do it ourselves in the name of convience and "purpose."
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I just started "Spanking Watson" by Kinky Friedman and "Switch, Bitch" by Roald Dahl.
  14. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Well said.

B/c i have nothing else better to do (sleep?), I'll go type up a bit from an essay written by Neil Postman called "Future Shlock." (found in my Macmillan Reader for AP Eng)

"[Huxley]...saw America. To be more specific, he foresaw that the greatest threat to the intelligence and humane creativity of our culture would not come from Big Brother and Ministries of Propoganda, or gulags and concentration camps. He prophesied, if I may put it this way, that there is tyranny lurking in a Coca-Cola bottle; that we could be ruined not by what we fear and hate but by what we welcome and love, by what we construe to be a gift from the gods.

"And in case anyone missed his point in 1932, Huxley wrote Brave New World Revisited twenty years later. By then, George Orwell's 1984 had been published, and it was inevitable that Huxley would compare Orwell's book with his own. The difference, he said, is that in Orwell's book people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure."
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Neil Postman said what I said, but said it better.
  16. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, he probably makes a living with his writing; he damn well should be better at writing than we! :D

oh, and aren't you from new jersey, too? :confused:
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, technically. But I consider myself a resident of the state. Port St. Lucie is a temporary inconvience, and thusly, I haven't bothered registering with New Jersey for residency. I mean, I'm moving out in June, setting up all that stuff would have been a waste of time.
  18. I'm currently trying to make it through a book called Infinite Jest by David Wallace. I haven't had too much time to read it with midterms and everything but I am going to start reading it a bit more now. The book is basically about addiction, getting into college, and general wackyness. The book is 1400 pages long but 350 of those pages consist of foot notes because the author had so much back story to the novel :).

I'd recommend it if your into that kind of book. It is very well written and I wouldn't hesitate to read some of Wallace's other books. Here the front cover:
  19. Way of the Weasel-Scott Adams
  20. In the last few months I have read:

1984 - George Orwell
    Lord of the flies - William Golding
    Hannibal and Red Dragon - Thomas Harris
    Heavier than Heaven - Charles Cross