TB Sampler CD Project

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by paul, Jan 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    This is the suggestion thread for the TB Sampler CD Project announcement, found here.
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Great idea. However, the lawyer in me says that there is probably some intellectual property issues to overcome with this.

For example, where people submit music which other band members may have contributed there may be potential copyright issues.

Maybe having each contributor acknowledge some kind of limited use license or waiver would be away around it?
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Wow, that's very cool, here's to a fun and successful project!
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sorry - can I clarify what we are doing here?

Are we just talking about it or actually making suggestions of what should be on?

Or even suggesting our own tunes for inclusion?

So far - nobody has made any concrete suggestions, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say? :confused:

But I have an MP3, I know you could use for me!! ;)
  5. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Sorry to confuse - this is just a general discussion thread on the project. Details on how to include your mp3 will follow at a later date in a different thread.

Good point on the legal issues - we could probably provide a form for participants to sign, stating the details of the project and limits of it's release. I think it'd be wise to have all participants sign off on a statement saying something like "I understand the material submitted is to be used for the xxx sampler CD and have gained the permission of all musicians involved" etc etc...
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Oh right - sounds like a good idea!

Maybe you could have themed sections - different styles grouped together - Jazz, Blues - Heavy Metal, Prog Rock etc. etc. ?
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Awesome, I'd gladly contribute. :D
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Me too!:cool:
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Me too, although my Heavy Metal contributions might be lacking in conviction, if not content. I'd like to second Bruce's motion of some sort of scheme for catagorization, if only for logistical reasons if this thing starts to get huge.
  10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

11. well, i'd like to throw something on it, so ill definitely be sending in my supporting membership money soon. also, will there be any way for those that are currently supporting members to get a copy (as in, if we are a supporting member when it comes out, will we have to wait a whole year to renew our membership to get one or what?)
  12. Count me in!

I can also help if Smash or Thor need any help with the project, just shoot me a PM and I'll be here!

13. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Darn, I have nothing to contribute.....wait....yes I do!

I think this is a great idea!
    (This should throw a nail in the coffin over at the other bass forum)

Now I'm eager to hear this CD. :hyper:
  14. CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have something I can contribute!

(as long as all rights to my music remain mine, and you don't use it outside of this cd without my permission)

where do i sign up?

- Cowboy
  15. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    There a a few "attorneys" (we don't use that term in Australia) who post on TB - im sure one of them would be able to donate a few minutes of their time to draft up an appropriate limited use license to use for the CD.

I could probably do one, however as Im an Aussie, I can't really be satisfied that I will have covered any particular US laws (and no doubt since TB is located in the US, you would want to do this).

Let me know if you need my help.
  16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'm in, just let me know where and when to send the MP3. I just renewed, and hope I can still get a disc somehow, even if I have to pay the next years dues, that would be fine with me....I'd LOVE to have this disc!

Now, not to be a stickler, but should there be any regulations on audio quality here? No offense Tyler, but stuff like "whale with no name", would be a waste of space on the disc. I understand not everyone has been in a pro studio, but I think there should be some kind of approval on the tunes, based on factors such as recording quality, potentially offensive content, ect.

Another suggestion, to have each TBer's handle listed clearly with their tracks, would just make it easier to browse.
  17. Yeah, I'd like to contribute too, seems like a very cool idea. (btw. I'll be sending my supporting membership money again anytime soon too)
  18. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am ready to contribute my mp3 as well.
    Just let me know the details.

19. Smash, I agree with Tim, but I do trust you will make the right decisions!

:D Treena
  20. If I do record something by the time the songs are compiled, I'm in. Lots of projects on the bench, but nothing on CD yet. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.