Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TB, show me your Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkside 88, Apr 3, 2005.

1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'd like to see a good variety of finishes and models, GOGOGOGO!!!

:bassist:

:bassist:

2. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Here's my Midnight Blue 4003........

[​IMG]

3. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    [​IMG]

4. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    :crying:

Those are quite beautiful, and I'm getting a case of GAS.

C'mon TB, there are more Ric owners out there.

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    My 1974 4001 & my 1978 3001:

Attached Files:

6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    And my holy grail...a 2003 4003 in Montezuma Brown....

Attached Files:

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

Me back in 1988 with my 1987 Mapleglo (it's a digital picture of a Kodac print... so it looks more white)

8. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    which I've since sold to buy a 5-string. no regrets! I only needed one Ric! This one had been modified with different pick-ups and knobs by a previous owner, which gave it kind of a cool sound. I actually liked it a lot! but I really did need the money for a different guitar!

[​IMG]

9. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    nice, i also have a '79 Mapleglo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

she's my pride and joy :cool:

wish i was a better photographer to show the little bit of flame she has on her backside

10. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
  11. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    My main baby....the great 4003s/5. I have a few other Ric's, but this is the one I use all the time:

Attached Files:

12. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    My Rics:

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Hey! Somebody flipped your picture. :p

14. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    My '97 Midnight Blue, '98 4003s8 JetGlo and '93 MapleGlo (strung BEAD)....all with Bartolini replacement pickups :D .

[​IMG]

15. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    That Midnight Blue looks more awesoem each time I see it.

16. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada

the far left one, is that the one with the Paul Mcartney paint job?

17. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey Incubus2432, do you have any sound clips of your Rics? I'd love to hear what the Bart replacments sound like.

18. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I used to have a really nice autumn glow 4001 years ago, that was especially neat as when I picked it up in pawn shop in Houston for $350 with the case, it had the original receipt from Evans Music City and it had been special ordered with a plain fingerboard - that's right, no lacquer on the fingerboard, just raw bubinga. Sadly, it was stolen years ago.

Ever since then, I've always wanted to get another one, but I've kinda got this thing for badly hacked up and / or broken basses that have maybe had an amatuer do a bunged up paint job, etc. I like to repair / restore and bring them back to live.

So, I was pretty happy about 6 weeks ago when I found this badly broken 1977 4001. The neck had been badly broken, the neck pickup missing, all the original electronics and pickguard gone, it had been painted with Krylon from a rattle can, etc... etc.. and was able to snag it with a case for next to nothing. Oh, another neat thing about it is that it is a 4001 model, and the serial number is QI 4001... matches!

Here's a few pics of it as it was delivered to me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cleaned up the poorly done original attempt at glueing up the neck, then reglued and clamped it up for 48hours:

[​IMG]

Here's how it looked after it came out of the clamps and I scraped off the finish around the area:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still debating putting a pair of thin dowels perpendicular through the crack. It is always best to do so or put a pair of splines in when fixing a rebreak, so I probably will.

I'm going to shave about 1/4" off of the top of the body and put on a burgundy/raspberry dyed through maple burl top, new 3 layer Ivoriod/black/ivoriod binding, all new gold hipshot bridges and tuners with a D-tuner, a silver & black paisley pickguard, and Q-Parts gold knobs with ruby red pearl tops! Woo! Whadda pimp bass it will be! :D

I've been a bit too busy with customer basses to mess with it lately, but hope to have it done and back to life by the end of the summer at the latest.

19. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    You gonna keep the neck natural? That'd be cool.