1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TB skiers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass12, Dec 31, 2012.

1. bass12

bass12 Have you seen my tonsils lately? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I used to be an avid alpine skier (from between roughly 1985 to 1997). Not only did I love skiing but I loved knowing about ski gear and the "scene". Due to university studies and an increasingly busy music-playing schedule (and a lack of funds) I stopped skiing. I really miss it though and keep dreaming about taking it up again. The thing is, I know absolutely nothing about ski equipment now. Parabolic skis were just beginning to appear when I quit and now it seems that the older "skinny and long" skis of my era are completely extinct. :( So my question is, for a guy who was skiing on Rossignol 7Ss with Lang X9 boots and Marker M48 bindings last time I was on skis, what would todays equivalent be likely to cost me? And how much has the range of skis changed? When I was skiing it was basically a choice of slalom, GS, mogul and "all mountain" skis (I tended to favour slalom even though I'd ski a lot of bumps - although today I might gravitate a little more towards a GS ski). Finally, is everything parabolic these days or are there some companies still making "old style" skis? Thanks in advance for any feedback - it's weird feeling so disoriented regarding a subject I used to be so on top of. :D

2. I'm a snowboarder, but work in the industry. Skis now are basically longer, skinnier snowboards. You have the reverse camber or "rocker" skis that are awesome for powder but not super awesome for downhill. You have others that are camber under your feet and rocker at the edges, you have skis with no camber at all (flat with normal tip and tail), and you have the old school reverse camber until the tip and tail. You also have twin tip skis and non-twin skis. It's really all over the place now, but one of my buddies that's an awesome skiier swears by Volkl and uses these: http://www.rei.com/product/840739/volkl-katana-skis-mens-20122013

Hope that helps.

3. I know squat about gear and I'm a pretty crappier skier but I still love it. Hoping to get out on the slopes either next week or the week after.

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    First off don't use the terms "shaped" or "parabolic" anymore you'll only embarrass yourself when you go shopping...this is what all skis have looked like for 15 years. Modern big sidecut skis are so much easier and more fun that a couple of days on some will have you wondering why they didn't figure this out earlier. One thing you need to get used to is you need much less muscle than you did with those old Rossis....set the edge and they turn. It's also a readjustment to distribute your weight more evenly on both skis and that both skis can be actively involved in the turn.

Hook up with a shop that will set you up with some demos and knock the rental price off anything you buy and go try some different ones. If you do it at the mountain you can probably try 2 or 3 different pairs a day. If you go with a friend who's been skiing recently you can swap and get his opinion.

I thoroughly trashed my knee a couple of years ago so I can't really comment on what's good this season. I've rarely been unhappy with Volkls though.

5. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks for the comments thus far - keep 'em coming! :)

6. BenBL

BenBL

Jun 25, 2012
    I love skiing, don't know S*** about gear though. I recently learned to do 180's from my cousin, it is sooo awesome!

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I lived in Stowe for a decade (70s-early 80s) and worked on the mountain a fair amount of that time. When I moved out west I kept skiing a ton for the first decade or so too. I can relate to the gear you mentioned, and was looking at buying something comparable in new gear on a friend's pro form deals a few years ago. Probably would've run me upwards of $1500 for everything I wanted, but I've come to realize that race stock gear wouldn't really make my geezer knees happy anymore anyway. I bought some beater first-gen shaped skis and a season pass at Mt. Hood, took a couple of hours to suss how they work and I never looked back as far as the gear goes.

Most anything newer would be better than what I have, but frankly I'd rather throw my money at windsurfing for a few more years while I still can. I'll always love skiing though, and I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually. ;)

8. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I grew up skiing right next door at Smuggler's Notch. I was actually up there yesterday (though I wasn't skiing, just visiting a local restaurant). :)

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Cool. I worked a lot of races on Spruce Peak, right on the other side.

10. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I was a ski bum for almost 2 decades, living and working in CO ski towns and until recently was an independent sales rep for several ski and snowboard companies.

Your Langes are still fine if the liners haven't rotted and/or the shells cracked and they fit comfortably. The biggest improvement to boots in recent years is in better fitting liners. Lange has used the same molds for decades now for their shells for the high end models. If your boots fit or you end up getting new boots spend a few bucks for aftermarket footbeds. These give you much better fit and arch support and improve comfort and performance. Cut to fit premolded insoles are @ $40 or if you ski enough get some custom molded ones made at a good shop for @ $150 and up.

Ski design has only made things easier so don't fight it. Slalom skiers race on 160cm skis now and would go shorter if FIS would let them. Your Rossi 7S was state of the art years ago and now it's only good for furniture making, and I'm serious you can only get rid of old straight skis if you find someone that wants to make chairs or fences out of them!

Don't buy skis right away. Nowadays you can find quality demo rentals at pretty much every mountain and try some different skis out first. Most shops will apply rental to purchase. Take a lesson if you can't get the hang of the new technology. Basically you just square your feet off in shoulder width stance with your weight centered and just roll the skis over on edge and they turn for you. You will be bombarded with details about sidecut formulas and new cambers. Rocker is the big buzzword now and there are rocker designs for every condition. Personally I like full camber(like old school skis) for racing or going mach 10 on groomers, camber underfoot/rocker in tip and tail for all mt. cruising on front and back side and also for most park features, and full rocker(like a surfboard) only for the biggest pow days or snowcat/heli skiing.

11. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Great information - thanks!

12. If your old boots aren't up to the job anymore due to the liners or another problem, try a pair of dalbello aerro's, got mine in feb. 2010 and they're rather comfortable. The diff. between them and my old alpina boots that I had gotten used was night and day. I'm waiting for the nearby resort to open up more of its trails before I go out this season. Hope you get all caught up on stuff and can enjoy yours too!

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Mine are old and I don't even remember what kind they are. They live at the mountain house and I get to dust them off about twice a year.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Boots... If the shells are decent around $240 will get you a set of 'bakable' liners. I use the DFP / Intuition liners in my Lange DIN 150 ! WC Race plug boots. love those liners! Imagine a WC level race stock boot that is comfy and also warm... That aspect is all the liner.

Eastern skiing. Look no further than the current generation Volkl mantra. Super turny due to the early rise tip. They still rail like a Volkl when you want to ripple your eye lids at GS speeds. Stout under foot, not as soft snow friendly as they could be - but when do you see soft at Tremblant ? If you're light, the Armada TST is more a user friendly ski. Decent edge grip but way better soft snow abilities. Out west it is close to a one ski quiver. I ski it's big bro the Norwalk as my powder / crud ski... I love both those skis. Would pick the Norwalks if I could only have one. But i'm out west. Back east it would be the Mantra's hands down. The Mantra is as close to a user friendly race ski as I have ever encountered. in case you actually get a powder day, they are 98 mm under foot and will float. Stiff tail means they have to stay in the fall line though. Typical volkl, they don't want to wander across the hill... Not the ski for picking your way through steep, tight trees in deep snow... Which is why the Norwalks...

Bindings. Salomon STH12's are cheap, light, dependable. I have those on the Mantra's and Norwalks. I have Rossi Axial Pro 12's on line Prophet 100's which is my early season, thin cover/ rock ski...

Lastly... The real upgrade to your skiing. Dude, you gotta move west!

15. First day at Loveland in 17 years today... Hasn't changed much! :D One new lift that wasn't running and a couple mountaintop warming cabins is about it. I can't believe they haven't replaced chair 2 w/ a high speed quad yet. :eyebrow:

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Oh man, modernizing Loveland would kill the vibe of the place! Let the resorters head on past to Keystone!

17. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks for your insightful post! Volkls seem to be getting mentioned a lot. If I was going to make skiing my life again I would move out west. As much as I love trees and some of the romantic aspects (to me) of New England, the skiing isn't getting better. I've never been a fan of ice or artificial snow.

18. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    Also look at the Rossignol Experience 83 or 88... Awesome! Does everything well!

19. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Since you're in the industry, do y ouknow of any companies that make rear-entry ski boots in large sizes? I wear size 15 and have somewhat tender shins. The last time I rented, I had this kind and it was the best ski trip I have had because my shins weren't killing me after the first day. These boots were taller, too. Very comfortable. I don't remember the brand, but we were at Lutsen, MN.

20. They were probably Lange, but there are a few that make rear-entry. I don't like to recommend boots to people whether it be for snowboarding or skiing. My advice is to reserve 3 or 4 hours and try on all the boots you can until you find a pair that's comfy & don't pay any attention to brand names. If you're spending ~$300 on a pair of boots they're going to be good regardless of brand. Most quality boots these days have heat moldable insoles as well so if they're comfy before the heat mold they'll be even more comfy after.

Woah, never mind... Size 15 is tough. You'll sometimes see ski boots sized in mondo and that's a 33. Best I can say is maybe call around before you head out to see if anyone stocks a boot that big.

..edit again... Either that or buy & return boots until you get one that fits.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021