Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TB String Shootout? Let's do one!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by C-5KO, Jan 18, 2006.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I was wondering how many people would be interested in having a TB string shootout? While the Bassgear one is great, it would be nice to have more current shootout.

We would try to include the more "popular" brands of strings. I say popular because they would be the most common, easy to check out strings to the regular joe bass player everywhere.

The shootout would have to be done by somebody who can differentiate the sonic qualities of the strings, will being able to articulate the qualities through words. Even possible record some sound clips too.

We could vote on which strings to shootout. A selection of SS and a selection of Nickels. Or maybe take suggestions? Also, there should be a standard for the bass that they're played on, a Fender Jazz and/or P bass.

The only problem would be getting funds together, as I could see us getting around 10-15 sets of strings in total may be costly. Assuming each set is $30 USD on average (my pricing is CAD up here, so I'm guessing at USD pricing), we're looking at $300-$450. I would be willing to donate up to $20 USD. if we could get 15-25 people to do the same, our costs would be covered.

I know basstasters also has some clips organized by strings, but some links don't work, plus IMO there are some strings that haven't been done, and there's no "review". People are interested in feel and such as well.

So, am I crazy? Suggestions, shoot me downs, lay into me's, whatever you've got, I can take it!