1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TB = Tax Break!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PlayTheBass, Feb 20, 2005.

1. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I was just working on my '04 taxes and realized I can deduct my donation to TalkBass. :) Ah, the bass life is good... (especially when you can earn $7 the easy way!)

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Damn man, good call. Haha.

3. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Hell yes! :bassist:

4. Damn...I finally got around to doing my taxes and filing them Friday. Guess I should have waited a few days.

5. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Man, I deduct everything I can. I figure if anything I make is taxable, then sure as hell anything I spend that's bass-related is deductible! Mileage to rehearsals, video camera for taping performances, and of course -- performance-enhancers.

6. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Yeah man, I run up a huge Powerbar bill too.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    So, is that only if you're a "professional bass player"?

What if you're just a working stiff, and play bass for a hobby? Can you still take the deduction in that case? :)

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If it's a hobby, you can deduct expenses related to the hobby, but only up to the point where it doesn't exceed the income derived from the hobby.

Unfortunately, it may not usually be a straight deduction. Consult with your tax adviser to find out how this may affect you.

9. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Oh yeah. Actually, I was talking about strings.

10. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Definitely talk with a tax professional. I have a day gig, so music is only a second income (I consider it "semi-pro" since I don't make a living with music, but maybe that's just a hobby level). But my accountant says that if I declare the income, which of course I have to do, then I am entitled to deduct all expenses. And you're right, they're not always straight deductions, as some of the equipment is depreciated, etc. I don't know the details, but hey, that's why I hire the accountant!

I got audited one year that I had a ton of equipment purchases, and my accountant went to represent me at the IRS appointment, and got me out of there with practically no changes to what I filed. We had to modify a depreciation schedule, and I think I ended up paying the feds a couple hundred more, but got back $150 from the state.